Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2010, 09:59 AM   #1

Share |

Code for dryer duct

Can anyone help me with the code for dryer duct proximity to an entrance door and height above a concrete porch area?

Thanks!

cgoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:26 AM   #2
General Contractor

Code for dryer duct

My code, which is unfortunately not your code, opens by stating the installation of exhaust for clothes dryers shall be in accord with the manufacturer's instructions, and as far a location goes that's pretty much it. (Section 504 - Clothes Dryer Exhaust - from the 07 OR mech book)

There are requirements as to maximum run, smooth metal duct interiors, they can't be shared, no insect screens, and so on.

Dryer vent concerns are mostly about fire hazard, not air quality.

Still, I would put it as far to the side of doors and windows as possible, and since the vent cap angles downward, I wouldn't seat it so close to a slab that it impedes the exhaust. I also might not relish sitting on that porch when the dryer is running.

Also, I can read most of my code online. Is that rare? Is NJ not available on the web?

Cheers,

Rory

LINK REMOVED
Portland, OR

Last edited by Termite; 02-13-2010 at 10:09 PM. Reason: site rules violation, personal web link cannot be in body of post
Rory Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:49 AM   #3

Code for dryer duct

The only online code for NJ I found was this:

http://www2.iccsafe.org/states/newje...g_Frameset.htm

This reference is almost unusable for me because you can not search for key terms and I have no idea which section to start reading.

I can probably get the vent exit outside on the brick front about 24" from the door frame and about 18" off the concrete. The run inside the house is very short (~7' and 2 elbows). Is 24" laterally and 18" vertical enough?

Current run goes entire width of the house (25' ?), 3 elbows and it jogs around water pipes and multiple joist braces. Oh, and it is the accordian plastic type hose. Fire hazard must go!

Also, the door is a second front door that leads to the laundry room. We never use it, nor the porch area. (The garage also accesses the laundry room.)
Old 02-12-2010, 11:10 AM   #4
General Contractor

Code for dryer duct

Up one level is:

http://www2.iccsafe.org/states/newjersey/

On that page, go to the mechanical book. In the mech book: chapter 5, exhaust systems, and then section 504. Once you are into a chapter, you can search for terms.

It's cumbersome, but if you use it enough you start to learn your way around them. I presume they want us buying hard copies of the codes, so they don't want the online version too easy to use. (I suspect the code book printing business is soon to go the way of travel agents and video stores.) There are ways to manipulate the pdfs so they are personally more convenient, but I probably should not spell those out.

As far as the vent goes, locate it as best as you can. The offsets you mention seem reasonable to me, and no doubt you are making a huge improvement over the current layout: less fire risk and faster more efficient drying.

Cheers,

Rory

LINK REMOVED
Portland, OR
Old 02-12-2010, 11:39 AM   #5

Code for dryer duct

Code book online? I wish... cost us about $260 a copy. Or a trip to the Library.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:38 PM   #6

Code for dryer duct

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
Code book online? I wish... cost us about $260 a copy. Or a trip to the Library.
http://bulk.resource.org/codes.gov/

This topic has been debated on these boards before. As I understand it, the argument has been made that since code is adopted as law by many jurisdictions, people have a right to be given accees to the "law". Apparently there is at least one (if not more) court cases where the "people" have won. These court desicions might be restricted to particular jurisdictions, but internet access is not.

Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 02-12-2010 at 02:52 PM.
HooKooDooKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:08 PM   #7

Code for dryer duct

Rory,

Thanks for the tip on that link. Section 504 does indeed have no door way offset requirement. However, the document above the Mechanical Code, the NJ Residential Code, does say in Chapter 15, section M1502.2 that the termination point must be no less than 3' from building openings.

So, when I get home I hope I find that 3' is doable! If not, how do I choose between fire hazard and code violation?
Old 02-12-2010, 07:25 PM   #8
General Contractor

Code for dryer duct

You are certainly, and unfortunately, correct.

So I say that for each of us comes a time when we must listen to a voice from deep within, and decide if we should throw the code book out the window!

Seriously, you could call and ask your building department, although you might consider posing a "theoretical" question before getting too specific.
I find that when I call, I am usually routed to a more senior inspector. They are more experienced, have seen it all and more often than not have the common sense and confidence to know when exceptions should be made.

If this were to be brought to the attention of building enforcement professionals, I would be amazed if they instructed someone in your shoes to move a laundry room or choose a 25' run over an 18" clearance to an opening. But they are, on occasion, rather amazing professionals.

Good luck,

Rory

LINK REMOVED
Portland, OR
Old 02-12-2010, 08:03 PM   #9

Code for dryer duct

Actually, 18" was my estimate of the height above the concrete, and 24" was my estimate of the distance laterally from the door.

Now that I've measured (and not guessed from my desk at work) I can easily hit 36" as long as there is not a stud right there. And if there is, I think 33" will seem like a wise choice over the convoluted path the vent goes through now.

Again, thanks for the help. I've bookmarked those code pages for the future!

Last edited by cgoll; 02-12-2010 at 09:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-12-2010, 09:04 PM   #10

Code for dryer duct

Dryer: http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...up65cYgFwMvULw

Codes: http://bulk.resource.org/codes.gov/

Use type "A" hood, not a "B": http://www.appliance411.com/faq/dryer-vent-length.shtml

Interesting: http://www.dpis.com/News/2008_11.pdf

Be safe, Gary