Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2011, 01:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

coating to help waterproof before tiling

We are in process of tiling a bathroom. In the shower we have built a recessed shelf with backerboard, have taped and mudded it with thinset. It's ready to go. BUT - and there's always a but....
the bullnose that we're installing leaves too much of a gap with the adjoining tile. So we used a dremel tool to "sand" it down a little - just a little. We're now worried about water proofing it. Just in case. This is a small area. It's about 24x12 inches and sets in about 3 inches. I've heard of proshield, but it only comes in gallons for $80. Is there anything we can spray on or brush onto this small area? It's not a mandatory part of this tile job, but we just want to be better safe than sorry just incase there's something we can put on there before we tile it. The rest of the tile around it is already installed on the wall.
Help is appreciated.

kathyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

All of the wet areas we work with are painted with Redgard. You can find it at Lowes. I've never had a bond failure or any issues with moisture or water getting past it. I consider it insurance on any shower tile job.
http://floorelf.com/installing-redga...walls-for-tile

TrapperL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thank you - I'll check it out
kathyll is offline   Reply With Quote