Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2014, 10:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Closing Exterior Wall-Siding Options

Hello,
I would like to remove a bay window and either close the wall completely or put a smaller, regular window. With either option I know I will not be able to match my current (over 20yrs old) vinyl siding. What are my options for the outside wall? Thank you so much!

AVMox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 14

Welcome to the Forum!

got a few photos you could post? if not all you will get are guesses, not necessarily useful suggestions.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:41 PM   #3

Thank you! I will take a few photos tonight and post.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:46 PM   #4
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 14

either order a custom window that will work with the existing opening or try to find a similar vinyl siding for that wall
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:22 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 28

I don't think a "design" can be done without even one photo. Adding trim if none exist is no good. Adding some kind of accent area or trim, esp with a vinyl siding, is no good.
The whole wall may be replaced, but again design and costs are factors.

Think about at least replacing the area in height so you have a kind of accent exterior from roof line to the foundation. I'd google "vinyl siding" images and start searching.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:53 AM   #6

Hi All,

Ok, here are 2 photos of the bay window...This window is in the kitchen and because of the layout it is a complete waste of space. Due to other factors, other changes can't be made in the kitchen without a complete tear down. So I was hoping for advise and ideas on either removing this window and closing off the wall or replacing it with a smaller height window. This will give me the space to install more cabinets/counters. I am not really concerned about it being cosmetically perfect for now....most likely I will need new siding in the future so not looking superb is not a priority at this time.

Any suggestions and ideas are greatly appreciated!
Old 08-29-2014, 09:06 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 16

if your not concerned about it being perfect. just frame it in, with/without window. get siding as close to what you have as possible. then color match paint it.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:04 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 146

20 years old or not,you should be able to find a close match to that siding.I hang lots of siding and have a CertainTeed catalog in front of me now.They have a color called Sterling that looks like a close match from the pics.Double 4 lap has not changed.
Just don't try to cheap out and piece it in.Go by the original laps as a square of siding is not very expensive.The new stuff will be a little brighter as the old if faded but you can get close.
mako1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:49 PM   #9

Thanks Mako1! Sorry, I know nothing about siding yet...(did I mention I'm a chic? )...What does "Double 4 Lap" mean? And where do I begin to shop for siding without hiring a contractor?
Old 08-29-2014, 01:54 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2

If you choose to put a window back in that is smaller in height but the same width, you could always use a contrasting siding direction under it in a white or another color. I've seen it done locally.

The best picture i could find quickly was this one, but it gives you the idea:

Think of the Brick as your siding, and assume the windows went right up to the edge. You could use a similar vertical siding under it to make it fit, and could also do under the other bay window if you felt like tying that in too, and that may give you enough to patch any space above the window that you need.
jimmyfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:04 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 146

I love to see chic's that are into DIY.Have a neighbor chic who works for the phone company.Stand up 24' ladders by herself and climbs pole to work on overhead lines all day.Just put up a 6' fence by herself and did a great job.
Vinyl siding is supposed to or trying to emulate the old cedar siding.You have double 4" which is supposed to be like 2 pieces of 4" lap .It covers 8" and is quicker and easier to put on in place of individual pieces of 4".From the pics that is what it looks like .You will have to measure as they also make double 5".
In Chicago you can find about anything.Look in the phone book for a lumber dealer that sells CertainTeed siding and the Sterling color will be close.Others may too.I just had this catalog on my desk.
mako1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:34 PM   #12

JimmyFloyd....Thank you! That is actually what I was throwing around in my head...siding, or maybe some kind of rock/stone detail etc....I just wasn't sure if there was any hope lol....And matching it to the other bay window is a fantastic idea....Thank you!!!

Mako1.....I would attempt to do a lot, but heights is not one of them...Thank you for the explanation..I actually get it
Old 08-30-2014, 07:54 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 16

mako has some good idea.

the MENARDS that i get my siding from. they have in stock what "looks" to be exactly what you have.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:56 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 8

Once the window looks out of place, the wall will need to cover up this flaw. Firstly, replace the window if you have totally run out of other options to fix it. The vinyl siding will continue to give protection and class to your home. You can either highlight it with a bright color or merge it with the walls (with a neutral shade). And from what I have experienced over the years, once a bay window goes, they start a pattern of replacing all windows that have lost their purpose. So be ready for that chain reaction.

fortunerestore is offline   Reply With Quote