Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-17-2009, 02:08 PM   #1

Share |

Closing in exterior doorway on brick house

I am closing in an doorway on my brick house. Do I need some sort of support when removing the half-bricks that are on the lintel? Needless to say, I don't want the bricks above the half-bricks to come tumbling down.

laur6162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:21 PM   #2

I am unclear on what your situation is. Post a pic and you might find some answers.

NJ Brickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:38 PM   #3

Depending on the size of your door opening will depend on whether you need to temp prop the opening to remove the lintel bricks or not.

If the opening is 1m (3ft) or less, you won't need to use temp propping to support the brickwork above the lintel. If the opening is more than 3ft wide, you will need to remove a brick or two and install a small beam through the brickwall with props supporting the beam either side. Then remove all bricks from under the beam.

We have systems in OZ & the UK that you can place on top of an acrow prop (Adjustable steel prop) that is designed for these situations.

If the brick wall is to be rendered, I would leave the lintel bricks in place and only toothe in the side bricks for strength. Then brick up the opening to the underside of the half brick lintel.

If the bricks are a feature brick, then you will need to remove the lintel bricks and also toothe in your brickwork both sides of the opening. Brick in the opening the same brick coursing as the rest of your house.
davethebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by davethebuilder View Post
Depending on the size of your door opening will depend on whether you need to temp prop the opening to remove the lintel bricks or not.

If the opening is 1m (3ft) or less, you won't need to use temp propping to support the brickwork above the lintel. If the opening is more than 3ft wide, you will need to remove a brick or two and install a small beam through the brickwall with props supporting the beam either side. Then remove all bricks from under the beam.

We have systems in OZ & the UK that you can place on top of an acrow prop (Adjustable steel prop) that is designed for these situations.

If the brick wall is to be rendered, I would leave the lintel bricks in place and only toothe in the side bricks for strength. Then brick up the opening to the underside of the half brick lintel.

If the bricks are a feature brick, then you will need to remove the lintel bricks and also toothe in your brickwork both sides of the opening. Brick in the opening the same brick coursing as the rest of your house.

I am not sure where you got this 3' rule. I would be very careful with offering this as an absolute rule with out even looking at the situation. I have ran into many situations that this 3' rule would have caused alot of damage/injury.
NJ Brickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:16 PM   #5

The 3ft of brickwork is a general rule of thumb, but with a poorly bonded built in lime mortar well past it's sell by date you could have a problem. If the wall is in good condition, well bonded, no cracks and built in cement mortar it should be OK, but it's hard to be sure from a computer screen.
stuart45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:19 PM   #6

Good point NJ. Depending on how much brickwork is above the opening and how the brickwork is bonded will depend on the strength and loading on the lintel.

To be safe it is better the install temp propping to support the lintel and brickwork and then do what you need to do with the brick opening.

davethebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote