DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Closing in the deck

12K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  sleepy23 
#1 ·
hello all,
I have a question on how to close in the underside of my deck. Currently, under my deck, there is a nice concrete patio. I want to take the patio and basically either enclose it as a screened in porch or maybe just a nice finished patio. Now my question is with the deck above. How do I seal this off so that if i am on the patio and it is raining, i do not get wet?
I had thought about the following:

1. use siding to make the ceiling and put a slight angle on it to run the water down to the end of the porch and into a gutter

2. use channel to run the water parallel to every opening over the patio then out to a gutter on the front of the deck

3. seal the openings, cross my fingers and hope for the best.

Any ideas?
Thanks

#3 ·
Have you considered screwing exterior grade plywood down over the existing decking, and then covering this with a good grade of deck fabric? This would keep you dry underneath, and greatly prolong the life of your deck structural members. Not the cheapest way to go, but possibly the best way.

Gerry

#7 ·
guys. i do appreciate the help and i did see most of those when i surfed google. my deal is, i am about 99% confident that i can design a system that will work and still look clean and look custom. Any I KNOW I can do it without paying well over 1000 bucks.

#12 ·
Berger Bros just came out with a very attractive under deck system that has a bead board look. You want the water to run thru the deck, into a gutter.
Adding the plywood, roll roofing, sleepers and decking and railings will add a lot to the weight load engineering criteria.
The under deck systems install quickly, and the ease in removal and re-attachment after cleaning make them well worth your trouble.
A simple way would be.....5/4 x 2 strapping with metal roofing screwed
up into it, and gutters on one end. If your deck is dead flat level, then a graduated strapping layout will allow your new deck ceiling to pitch to your gutter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.