Closet Walls Load Bearing? - Single Floor Slab With Vaulted Ceiling - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2013, 01:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Closet Walls Load Bearing? - Single Floor Slab with Vaulted Ceiling

Planning on removing two closets, wall to wall, 16 ft wide, 4 feet of which is wall. The width of the closets run perpendicular to the ceiling joists. The closets are built against the exterior wall at the lower end of the roof.

All the rooms in the house are pretty much the same--meaning, each individual room has an exterior wall with a ceiling which terminates at the apex of the roof with no load bearing walls between them. This room is the only exception.

I imagine that no part of the closet is load bearing as it is only 2 feet from the exterior wall, and there is very little to support. As well, in other rooms in the house of relatively the same dimensions (and there are 4 of these), there are no load bearing supports or walls between.

Can anyone help me determine if it is load bearing or not?

Advertisement

SteamEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
"You can do anything"-Mom

Rewards Points: 500

I'd tend to agree with you but without pictures or a sketch and your location its going to be really hard to guess. Get us some more information and the great people on here can help you with just about anything!

Advertisement

brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I hope so. I've attached 4 photos. 1 of the bedroom and den that shows that the den is a similar construction without a load bearing on the short, exteriors side, the other that shows the bedroom with slope ceiling and closet in question.

The den and bedroom are side by side, sharing the same roof.

The other two, obviously, are of the closet.

Let me know what you think.
Attached Images

SteamEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
"You can do anything"-Mom

Rewards Points: 500

I can't imagine a scenario when your closet wall would be load bearing but to be on the safe side, can you gain access to look at the framing above the wall in question? If you are dead set on removing the wall then once you get the sheet rock down snap some more pictures. Judging from the fact that another identical part of the house doesn't have that wall leads me to believe that you wont have any problems removing it.
brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
load bearing , single floor , slab house , vaulted ceilings , walls