Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-22-2011, 09:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Closet in FRoG

Hi,
I have a finished room over my garage that is pretty typical. It's long and rectangular with half-high walls down each side. The entry door is on the end wall and slightly off center and there is a window in the other end wall. I have 2 skylights on of the slanted parts of the ceiling and a wall A/C unit just below them on the half wall.

I'd like to convert this into a bedroom and need a closet. My plan was to just build one in a corner where the entry door is. It seems like it might be a little awkward but I don't have a better idea. I plan to make a walk-in closet with the half-high wall being the back of the closet. does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Keith

KEJinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:53 AM   #2

Closet in FRoG

Wardrobe cabinet...no mess, no fuss, and if you don't like where it is in the room once all the furniture arrives....you move it.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:49 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 192

Closet in FRoG

Sounds like a simple job, but, any your making a room into a bedroom the county is going to want to know about and will need a permit for it.
No one will know about it until you go to sell it and it gets listed as more bedrooms then your approved for.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 20

Closet in FRoG

Most localities to conform as a bedroom require a closet. If you use a freestanding wardrobe, it will not be considered a bedroom even if you sleep in it (the room not the wardrobe).
Old 12-22-2011, 11:58 AM   #5

Closet in FRoG

Thanks for the info. I really don't want a free-standing wardrobe so a closet is what I need. As to getting a permit, I figured that would be the case. Still, I plan to be here for a few more years so it may be worth dealing with then. I'm more concerned with the actual closet and what would be best. I've seen people put "closets" or storage directly into the knee-walls but I'm not sure that's what I want. I think I can get a decent amount of space out of a corner closet but I can't find anything online where someone has done this before. I'm not sure why not though. That's why I came here looking for opinions and/or ideas.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:51 PM   #6

Closet in FRoG

Joecaption brings up a good point. More bedrooms=higher value=higher taxes. And you know how the tax man doesn't like to be jipped...best make sure before he gives you a hard slap down the road...

Are you on a septic system? If so, they are typically sized by bedroom (occupant) count...just a thought...
Old 12-22-2011, 02:35 PM   #7

Closet in FRoG

I'm on city water and sewer.

I'll check into the permitting. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:28 AM   #8
jpc
jc

Rewards Points: 2
Send a message via Yahoo to jpc

Closet in FRoG

Hey KeJinsc, Im in a similar situation with my room above garage and no closet at all,one end of the room does not have a window while the other end does, the end without the window I planned to come off of that wall about 4 feet or so and run a wall the with of the room from knee wall to knee wall with a double sliding door in middle, 4 feet might be a little overkill but wanted to make sure had ample room for shelvings, close rods, and other storage.I drew it up on sketchup but that is about as far as i got when other household renovations jumped to top of priority list. As everybody else said check with county so no surprises smack you later, as i have not started that process yet because i am still into the what do i want stage but just throwing it out there to ya, good luck
jpc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:52 PM   #9

Closet in FRoG

jpc, you can't have a bedroom without an egress window. At least that's the case in New England and would be very good practice even if in an area where it's not.

OP, have you checked to make sure your existing window is sized for egress? Existing conditions usually allow for a hardship clause, but since you will be converting to a bedroom you may or may not need written approvals. Since you're going to the town anyways, you'll be finding out for sure.