Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2012, 09:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Closed In Carport - Framing the Floor

I have a concrete floor in a closed in (framed) carport. What is the best way to do the floor joists? The space is 26' x 20' and I have room for 2x8s for the joists as it steps down from the main house.

charlie.stroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

Got a picture?

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:23 PM   #3

No, but I can try to get one soon. 3 out of the 4 sides have studs on the walls. The other is brick. Mainly trying to determine the best way on how to frame the floor. There is a difference regarding the level of the floor due to the pitch for drainage so there is some variance to deal with.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,152

That's one of the issues I was going to bring up, some other's are when I hear carport of garage conversion is water getting in under the walls. Possible moisture issues from the slab.
That's why a picture would be nice so we can get an idea on what you have to work with.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:57 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,022

is the top of slab level with the top of foundation, in other words were to two placed together? how far above the average slab will the top of the floor be?

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #6
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie.stroup View Post
I have a concrete floor in a closed in (framed) carport. What is the best way to do the floor joists? The space is 26' x 20' and I have room for 2x8s for the joists as it steps down from the main house.

your best bet if only able to use 2x8 joists is to plan in a few solid girders worked out to carry the 2x8 joist spans (whatever they may be). One of the issues with converting garages/carports is that you cannot point load down onto the slab because it is 4" thick.depending on how the slab was poured cutting into the slab to add footers does not usually work to well either.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #7

I'm currently about to take on this same job. My house is a 70's ranch with a 20 x 20 carport enclosed on three sides with the weight on the stem walls. I plan to put in a stem wall on the open end and frame it closed. The only weight on the stem walls will be the exterior walls and roof. The house trusses carry some of that weight on one end.
In my situation the slab will carry only floor loads. With a calculated dead load for major building materials ie; blocks, girders, joists, subfloor, stud walls and sheetrock of about 5500 lbs and 16 point load locations it still is a lot less weight than two vehicles. It's still far less even doubling it for live loads. I fail to see it being a problem. Another thing in my favor that may not apply to the OP is that I'm on a rocky hilltop and the slab hasn't cracked anywhere in 41 years.
remoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:27 PM   #8
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,124

Are you simply adding a wood or tile floor on top of the existing garage concrete floor, or are you planning to install joists that span from stem wall to stem wall and do not touch the concrete floor? The framing would be completely different, depending on exactly what it is you are doing.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:17 PM   #9

I was planning on installing joists and not laying flooring on top of the concrete.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:42 PM   #10

In terms of how high to run the joists to meeting the existing floor level of the house, I assume I account for 3/4 inch plywood and another 1/4-1/2 inch? Do I run the joists 1 inch lower that the existing floor of the house or some other measurement? The final floor will be either hardwood or carpet.

Thanks to all in advance.