Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2008, 06:01 PM   #1
I have gas!

Share |

Clearance between roof and siding???

I'm installing Hardiplank siding and I've sided to the point where I'm about to side over the roof of my portico and bay window. In the Hardie installation instructions it says:
"Provide a 2 minimum clearance between the roofing and the bottom edge of the siding and trim."
This sounds excessive to me and personally I don't think it would look very good. I looked at other siding installations and the space looks to be about 1/2- 1". On older houses there is no gap between the siding and the roof. What's the reason that Hardie specifies such a large clearance?

Old 04-26-2008, 06:10 PM   #2

Ice damming can be a problem if water can backspash up behind the siding and freeze. The ice will actually crawl upwards into the wall system. 2" sounds a little conservative, but Hardie won't warrant your installation if you don't follow their directions. You definately want a gap there to let the flashing do the work.

You do have step flashing at this joint, don't you?????

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 07:28 PM   #3
I have gas!

I'm covered as far as flashing the roof. The roof on both the portico and bay are covered entirely with ICE and Water Shield and that runs up the wall about 8", 4" step flashing woven in with the roof shingles and another layer of Vycor covering about top 2" of the step on the wall edge and then the Tyvek over that.
Like I said I walked around the neighborhood looking for an example of the appropriate spacing and around here it looks like they only leave about 1/2" gap on new and newer houses. 2" sounds like a huge gap to me.
Edit: I see that the install instructions for non-freezing climates allows only 1" of clearance. I thought that the 2" was a Hardie specific guideline. It's hard to believe that every house in my neighborhood has it wrong.

Last edited by Clutchcargo; 04-26-2008 at 07:45 PM.
Clutchcargo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 07:53 PM   #4
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchcargo View Post
I'm installing Hardiplank siding and I've sided to the point where I'm about to side over the roof of my portico and bay window. In the Hardie installation instructions it says:
"Provide a 2 minimum clearance between the roofing and the bottom edge of the siding and trim."
This sounds excessive to me and personally I don't think it would look very good. I looked at other siding installations and the space looks to be about 1/2- 1". On older houses there is no gap between the siding and the roof. What's the reason that Hardie specifies such a large clearance?
Scroll down to figure #3. Follow their installation guide or you'll void all warranties.

http://www.amvic-pacific.com/downloa...dgeinstall.pdf
Old 04-26-2008, 09:04 PM   #5
I have gas!

Thanks for the link.
It's odd that Hardie specifys a 1-2" clearance for Montana and Wyoming and minimum of 2" for Massachusetts.

Last edited by Clutchcargo; 04-26-2008 at 09:07 PM.
Clutchcargo is online now   Reply With Quote