Clay Cap Around Foundation? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-03-2007, 11:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

clay cap around foundation?

Hello

For the past 2 years I've been remodeling my basement. I've finished painting and am about to put carpet down, but for the first time, I noticed a wet floor in one corner. I've extended the downspout 10 feet, and the next rain the wet spot re-appeared. I've done some research and found a suggestion to put a clay cap that slopes from the foundation around the foundation. The idea is the clay won't absorb the water and it will flow away from the house.

In looking for clay, one place said they dont carry it but I need a bentonite type clay, that expands when it is wet filling voids.

This idea seems to make sense, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried it. Also, where can you get this product?

Thanks
Pat

Advertisement

patrickosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:17 AM   #2
Theres more then one way.

Rewards Points: 150

Im going to have the same problem.
It seams like the best thing to do is footing-drains and sealing the out-site of the foundation.

For something like finishing a basement which currently has leakage (even if its very very little) i personally don't see any logical reason why to mess around with "home-remedies", its going to cause alot of head eaks down the line... atleast thats how im looking at it. One off-the-wall rain storm and everything get ruined.

_

Advertisement

iMisspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:49 AM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMisspell View Post
Im going to have the same problem.
It seams like the best thing to do is footing-drains and sealing the out-site of the foundation.
For something like finishing a basement which currently has leakage (even if its very very little) i personally don't see any logical reason why to mess around with "home-remedies", its going to cause alot of head eaks down the line... atleast thats how im looking at it. One off-the-wall rain storm and everything get ruined.
_
It's actually not a ''home remedy''. It's a process that some water proofing companies have been doing for years. Tho, not in every region of the country.

There are a few varying opinions about this process of what is called "Bentonite or Hyrdo-Clay waterproofing". I have only found a few negative opinions that were based on ''theory''. The positive opinions that I have found have come from property owners who have had the process done on their homes.

Here is a good explanation of it on a website from a company in the Great Lakes region:
http://www.greatlakeswaterproofing.c...proofing.shtml

Another company:
http://www.bwn.com/solution/multi.aspx

And a poster's comments off the OHW (Comment & Link to it, provided below):

"I've just found this site,really useful.
I have an 1840 Greek Revival farmhouse,plank-built,which intrigues all the contactors!I have found the perfect,painless solution for waterproofing fieldstone cellar walls.They inject a bentonite slurry around the outside of the walls(no excavation needed)which migrates to the walls and seals them.The company guarantees it forever.Any leaks they will re-do free of charge.I can reccommend the company.Basement Waterproofing Inc -
basementwaterproofinginc.com .They are located in Rome NY.They may know of companies in other parts of the country.I hope this will help some people.Wet basements are such a headache.It takes 4-6 weeks to seal,so we'll see." - Page #2 of thread (Poster: ''Katey'')
http://www.oldhouseweb.com/newBB/topic-10413-10.shtml

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 06-04-2007 at 03:55 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:16 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks AtlanticWBConst

What I was thinking of was like one in figure 8a on this page:

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...commendations/

I hadn't fully read this page until tonight, where I noticed another method in figure 16. Since I'm looking for a diy solution, this seems doable. Just not sure it'd solve my problem...
patrickosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:12 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 852

patrick-what method did you end up going with?
federer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:55 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,486

we've used bentonite ( expandable clay ) in ny/nj/ct/pa metro area for sub-grade basement waterproofing which usually worked well so it was a fair item,,, the problem was we couldn't guarantee 100% so there also were often call backs [ terribly expensive ],,, + if we did finally stop the wtr in 1 place, it wound up finding another spot to intrude,,, finally we gave it up & sold the rig to some clown in the great lakes region [ just kidding ! ]

wb's right - in theory, there's no difference 'tween theory & practice,,, however, often, in practice, there is

we finally let the makers of kitty litter keep the bentonite

Advertisement

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote