Cladding Wall Around A "Freestanding" Ventless 2 Sided Bio-ethanol Fireplace 6k BTU - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

Old 03-21-2015, 06:40 AM   #1
Rewards Points: 410

Cladding wall around a "Freestanding" ventless 2 sided bio-ethanol fireplace 6k BTU

See the pic below for my project.

I am installing a double sided bio-ethanol burning fireplace into a wall cavity. Am I ok to use "X" drywall to wrap the frame above and below the fireplace recess (and the adjacent wall to the fireplace opening? The fireplace is rated at 6k BTU.

I don't want to tile over this area, so durock is not ideal (unless it can be finished out like sheetrock and painted). I'd like this whole wall to look continuous and seamless and it will all be painted same.

Here are the fireplace specs:
Burner type / quantity: 1 x 1.5 Liter Dual Layer Burner made of #430 Stainless Steel; BTU: 6,000; Flame 12 - 14" High; Burn Time: Approximately 6-8 Hours.

vestaviascott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:39 AM   #2
Rewards Points: 7,016

Cladding wall around a "Freestanding" ventless 2 sided bio-ethanol fireplace 6k BTU

What do the fireplace install directions say? I would think if wood is OK then then drywall should be fine.

Do not PM with questions that can be asked in a forum. I will not respond.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:04 AM   #3
Rewards Points: 6,628

Not getting the way it's framed or how close it is to the wall.
Should have been framing and clearances needed right in the directions.
Can not imagine it being safe to have it that close to that right wall.
With it that close to the wall and not framed out on the left hand side how are you going to sheetrock it?
It's also weaker because there's no stud from the floor to the ceiling.
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote