Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2009, 09:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

cinder blocks under tub?

I have to raise my tub about 6 inches from the floor in order to get the p-trap in place (Im using an Sanibest unit). Can I place cinder blocks on their sides (with holes parallel to the floor) as a base for the tub to lay on? The cinder blocks would be at the same height as the 2x6's and seem like a solid platform. My biggest concern is the intergrity of the blocks. I know that cinder blocks have their support with the holes running verticle, but will blocks hold the weight of a full tub if layed on its side?

Leoskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:42 AM   #2
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

cinder blocks under tub?

I would just run the P trap downstairs, or if this is in a basement, break up the cement.

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:59 AM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

cinder blocks under tub?

You'll probably get the same answers as when you asked about this before, HERE.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:11 AM   #4

cinder blocks under tub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
You'll probably get the same answers as when you asked about this before, HERE.
Thanks for running a search on my posts but I am not asking the same question. Ive never worked with cement and would rather do it an easier way if possible.

So back to my question, would cinder blocks hold on their sides?
Old 09-03-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

cinder blocks under tub?

And back to the same answer.... No. Without concrete (or something) to lock your blocks in place, the cheaply constructed and often uneven bottom of the tub will eventually begin to shift your blocks around over time. So if you would need to bond your blocks together with concrete anyway, why not simply dump several shovels full of conctete on the floor and set the tub down into the wet cement?
Old 09-03-2009, 10:30 AM   #6

cinder blocks under tub?

How about gluing the blocks together with masonry adhesive or even better yet, framing the blocks in place with the 2x6's?
Old 09-03-2009, 10:45 AM   #7
Old School

cinder blocks under tub?

My point is that even though the bottom of a tub might "appear" to have some flat areas, if you were to crawl up under there with a tape measure you would find that the bottom surface varies greatly. Embedding the tub into wet concrete settles firm support into all the odd shaped areas and the many out-of-level spots. And it is super simple to do.................

Ya buy some bags of sakrete, dump them into a 5 gallon bucket, add some water, and stir it all up till it's nice and thick. Then you just dump it into the tub area and set the tub down into the wet stuff.

Done.

Last edited by Willie T; 09-03-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:18 PM   #8

cinder blocks under tub?

I took the tub out and placed it on the floor to check for irregularities. I gotta tell ya that all of the pegs and support pieces touch the floor without any significant gaps.

So lets say that my tub is pretty flat on the bottom, any problems with glueing the blocks together?
Old 09-03-2009, 05:52 PM   #9
GC

Rewards Points: 10

cinder blocks under tub?

If it were me I would frame a false floor using wood and sheet it, attach it to the walls unless the tub will sit in the middle of the floor! I think the blocks would be a problem in the long run!

Spotfire is offline   Reply With Quote