Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2010, 10:51 AM   #1

Share |

Cinder block wall - filler

Hi,

I have a shared cinder block wall in my townhouse and am looking to stop sound from traveling up the wall.

My first thoughts are to drill a hole in each block and use an expanding spray foam. Any thoughts if that will work or if there is a better way?

Also, can you rent spray foam kits at home depot? I think I'd need the type that hooks up to 2 propane tank-like vessels. Any ideas on cost ?

Thank you
Chazz
chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:35 PM   #2
General Contractor

I can't picture it, cinder blocks are usually filled with mortar, does that spray foam even stop sound? That is made for filling in gaps.

Only thing I can think of is to frame another wall with fiberglass insulation and soundboard attached, and a one inch gap from your bricks.
KennMacMoragh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:58 PM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

"Cinder blocks" are NOT usually filled with mortar, but in some areas they are filled with grout, which is a big help since the mass is increased.

I saw not mention of of brick, but it is a shared townhouse wall.

Fiberglass batts are not very good for sound and other batts that are much better.

Foaming or caulking cracks is a big help if the wall is exposed, since sound does not just go up, but travels in all directions.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:01 PM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

That wall is possibly already filled with (depending on its age) vermiculite, perlite, or some other newer fireproofing material.

Last edited by Willie T; 01-19-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote