Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2011, 07:39 PM   #1

Share |

Cinder Block Fireplace

I am planning on building a long, low profile outdoor cinder block fireplace with travertine veneer and fire bricks on the inside much like this one pictured here http://www.houzz.com/photos/28799/Urban-Earth-Design-modern-landscape-phoenix My question is, when it comes to the roof with the venting would it be best to build forms and pour concrete in place or is there a way that I could mortar in blocks in place for the final course? Many thanks!

thenewguy023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:58 PM   #2

Cinder Block Fireplace

Well I have been pondering this for some time and am thinking about the possibility of using steel studs with cement backerboard to bridge the top section. I just not sure if backerboard will be able to handle the heat although I have heard of people using it to line chimineys. Still open to better ideas though as this project will not start for a week.

thenewguy023 is offline   Reply With Quote