Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2010, 05:06 PM   #1

Share |

Cinder Block Basement Remodel

My wife and just bought our first home last year. The basement is/was finished until I replaced the landscape timber egress window wells that were placed obviously wrong. The first well went in fine the second... my excavator nudged one of the timber pushing in the foundation wall about 6". This is when I found out that the previous to the previous owners did a real smash up job, since they were the one who finished the basement initially. Instead of saw cutting the openings the block was hammered out and left jagged. The windows were placed with the use of shims and great stuff (the only thing holding them in). After the queasy regret passed by I and a structural engineer push the wall back into place and cemented, mortared, rebare'd, placed steel pipe jacks along side the window bucks, and then spread a coat of structural bonding over the entire wall and it is semi-normal again. We also noticed that a lot of the cells of the cinder block hadn't been filled, keep in mind that this is a 55 year old home too.

My new concerns are to find the best way, without destroying the foundation, to attach furring strips? I want to put 2" of rigid insulation on the "cider block" wall and finish it out to be plumb again. Also since the now repaired un-plumb wall has a window on it, how would I correct the window to look true? It opens and shuts easily but the frame bumps out following the wall waviness.

Last edited by raxtman; 07-14-2010 at 08:19 PM.
raxtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:57 AM   #2

I would fix the wall first. If that's not possible, build a stud wall inside to avoid the wavy issue.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:27 PM   #3

Build a 2x4 stud wall away from the foundation so you have a flush surface to finish and insulate, as far as the window goes run 1x or plywood from the framed opening in your new stud wall back to the window frame to finish it out. Hope this helps.
Leelumberchgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by raxtman View Post
I and a structural engineer push the wall back into place and cemented, mortared, rebare'd, placed steel pipe jacks along side the window bucks, and then spread a coat of structural bonding over the entire wall and it is semi-normal again. .............. Also since the now repaired un-plumb wall has a window on it, how would I correct the window to look true? It opens and shuts easily but the frame bumps out following the wall waviness.
The problem is you put in a lot of effort but didn't fix the wall. It wouldn't have taken any more effort to actually end up with a straight wall. Fix the wall right and you'll never look at and wince. And why didn't the excavator or his insurance company pay to repair his damage?
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:23 PM   #5
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post
The problem is you put in a lot of effort but didn't fix the wall. It wouldn't have taken any more effort to actually end up with a straight wall. Fix the wall right and you'll never look at and wince. And why didn't the excavator or his insurance company pay to repair his damage?

My thoughts exactly. I would think that the excavator should have at least been on the hook to dig the damaged wall out for you. Once this is done, the wall is moved back very easily. We used to do alot of "retro-pilasters" in the cores of the block, and I would have been very aprehensive to ever re-inforce a wall that way without being returned to it's original position. Now that it's re-inforced, that wall will much, much harder to straighten in the future.

I'm suprised an SE would be OK with that process.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:45 PM   #6

I thought the poster did the damage to his own house.
Ron
Old 07-15-2010, 10:05 PM   #7
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
I thought the poster did the damage to his own house.
Ron

Ron, you sure have a way with "sugarcoating"!

He said "my excavator" and stated that he the SE guided him along. I'm thinking those professsionals should be a little liable for this situation...............
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
Ron, you sure have a way with "sugarcoating"!

He said "my excavator" and stated that he the SE guided him along. I'm thinking those professsionals should be a little liable for this situation...............
I thought he meant his machine while he was digging. If he hired someone, why didn't they make it right? There's no reason he's trying to work around a problem like that if it's someone elses responsibility to fix it.
If your neighbor runs into your house and causes damage, your insurance company will pay to have it fixed and then they will put in a claim to the other person's insurance company to be paid. Maybe he should speak to his insurance company.
Ron