Cinder Block Barbeque Island Top - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
amm

Rewards Points: 10

Cinder Block Barbeque Island Top

Hi all,

I just recently bought a house that has a cinderblock BBQ island with a built in grill that is way too small. I am replacing the grill with one that is much larger. When I started taking the tile off and such I found out that the top of the island was made with concrete that was poured over plywood. Needless to say the plywood is rotted and the concrete just cracked so I tore it all off. I am trying to figure out a good solution for the top of the island that will support my grill. I was thinking maybe installing some steel crossmembers and anchoring them to the cinder block with some L brackets then putting cement board over the top. Is this a good idea or do I even need the steel crossmembers? The island size is 8`x2`. The grill needs a 30" x 20" cutout.

Thanks!

Advertisement

amm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 680

Not sure how anyone is going to be able to help without a picture.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #3
amm

Ok, I have one of the island before I tore the top off. I can take some more when I get home tonight.
Attached Thumbnails
Cinder Block Barbeque Island Top-picture1.jpg  
Old 01-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,144

Personally, I'd span the opening with 1 5/8" patio block and pour a new concrete cap (3.5"+ inches thick) over the entire thing with an overhang to help protect the stucco/plaster finish.

Or, you could use a number of different paving materials to cover the top, like flagstone, large concrete pavers, etc....
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
amm

Ok so the span is roughly 24" - 16" (2 cinder block depths) = 8". So place the patio blocks over that then make a wood frame to pour concrete into? Would you just build the wood frame out a littlebit to make the overhang? I was planning to put some form of granite tile on top and then making a bullnose. The stucco I am going to do stacked stone over I think.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by amm View Post
Ok so the span is roughly 24" - 16" (2 cinder block depths) = 8". So place the patio blocks over that then make a wood frame to pour concrete into? Would you just build the wood frame out a littlebit to make the overhang? I was planning to put some form of granite tile on top and then making a bullnose. The stucco I am going to do stacked stone over I think.
If you want the top to be as low as possible with concrete (3-3.5" IMO) you could also get away with just using 1/2" tile board to shut off the opening as well seeing as it's only 8".

As for forming the cap, it's easier if you're going to cover the stucco up anyways. Drill and Tapcon two 2x4's to each side flat (top of 2x4 flush w/ top of existing island) and then build the outer form of 2x8's over the top of those. This will make the new top 6" wider both ways total, and allow for overhand even after you put thin stone on it.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
amm

So just get the longest tapcons I can find? I am assuming longer than 4 inches would be ideal. Sounds pretty doable. I am gonna finish the demo and start building the form tonight. Also another quick question. I have a sawzall with some diamond coated blades to cut the indentation into the cinderblock. Would that be a good way to do it? Thanks for your help! Pictures to follow later.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #8
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by amm View Post
So just get the longest tapcons I can find? I am assuming longer than 4 inches would be ideal.

You can go with 2 3/4" x 1/4" and just mount the first 2x4 with the Tapcons, and screw the second one to the first.

Sounds pretty doable. I am gonna finish the demo and start building the form tonight. Also another quick question. I have a sawzall with some diamond coated blades to cut the indentation into the cinderblock. Would that be a good way to do it? Thanks for your help! Pictures to follow later.
Not sure, never used that kind of blade or a sawzall on concrete, so you may want to try it, but something tells me you may need a grinder with a masonry blade at the minimum.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:43 PM   #9
amm

Got everything cut out the way I want it now I am just building the form for the concrete. Quick question.... Should I overlap the cement board and the 2x4's for the overhang or should I just leave the cement board over the cinder block. Does it even matter? Any suggestions on concrete type? I think I will need ~8 bags of quikrete (80lb) or 4-5 of this maximizer stuff. Thanks again. I will take pictures one of these days too

Advertisement