Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2010, 06:41 PM   #1

Share |

chimney distance from roof line

I did a quick search here but found nothing...I know there is a minimum distance a chimney top to the roof line can be.Can any one tell me what this distance can be? Thanks!

abnormalnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:57 PM   #2
Mod

Well in my area if you put a level from the chimney to the roof, that line needs to measure at least ten feet.

Call your local building department for the correct answer in your area.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:54 AM   #3

10 feet had sorta stuck in my head so thanks for re-affirming this. I was afraid of that.....I'm 8 feet away from the roof now so will need to add another section of scaffolding to make the 10 feet. Thanks!
Old 11-14-2010, 07:19 AM   #4
Chicago, IL

If you are referring to a conventional masonry chimney on a sloped roof, it must be two feet above the height of a horizontal line drawn from top of the flue to the point at which that line touches any portion of the structure within ten feet of the nearest point on the flue. For other types of roofs and some types of manufactured vent systems the requirements can be a bit more complicated.
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:42 AM   #5
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
If you are referring to a conventional masonry chimney on a sloped roof, it must be two feet above the height of a horizontal line drawn from top of the flue to the point at which that line touches any portion of the structure within ten feet of the nearest point on the flue. For other types of roofs and some types of manufactured vent systems the requirements can be a bit more complicated.
Exactly, as well as 3' minimum where it penetrates through the roof. The 3' rule is when the chimney is located at the peak (like it should be.......... )
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:20 AM   #6
Chicago, IL

Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:40 AM   #7

Your Regs look a bit stricter than ours.
Name:  flue-outlet-height.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  16.8 KB

Name:  flue-outlet-height-table.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  42.2 KB
stuart45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:53 PM   #8

Thanks everyone! If the weather holds out for a day or so, I will add the additional blocks to meet this requirement. It means adding one more section of scaffoldling to reach this high but now is the time to do it with every thing else in place. The good thing is I am right at the height where the hip roof angles upwards to the peak, so making that 10 foot rule won't take more than a block or two. Add my bracing and the 'cricket' and I'll be in good shape here.