Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2012, 04:02 PM   #1

Share |

Chimney dimensions for common 8x8 flue chimney

I'm learning Chief Architect X3 and am working on a plan for a house I plan to build in a few years. I'm about to add the concrete footings and foundation walls for the chimney. This chimney will be for one of many well known oil boilers. It will be on an outside wall, have 8x8 flue and include std size finish brick. What I need is an explanation of what the outside dimensions of the foundation should be. This is a very common setup but often (unlike here) a second flue is included for a fireplace. I believe masons know the standard length & width for this very common chimney/foundation setup. Thanks all, for the help!!!! ...Jim

fairlane292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
Disabled wood vet

All I know is the pipe (s) need to be so many inches from any combustible, including framing.
Check with the manufacturor for clearances.

titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
Concrete & Masonry

A 16" by 16" chimney block is intended to surround 8x8 flues. If you want to a veneer, you'd need to add 4" per side, or take it to 24". Usually easier said than done though, because you need a minimum air space behind the brick veneer, so using 3 bricks and the "head" of a queen sized brick, it should take to to right about 26 5/8", give or take a little.......

If you're looking to incorporate a fireplace, it's a completely different animal.........
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:13 AM   #4

It's been a few years since I built a chimney much like you're planning, but I seem to recall the foundation had to be 12 inches thick and a minimum of 12 inches wider than the chimney in all three directions. But a call to your local permit department will answer your question as it applies to where you live. My chimney was built to IRC 2003 code, which is not that common.
md2lgyk is online now   Reply With Quote