Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2010, 10:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Chilly inside new construction home

Hey this is my first post and I had a question maybe someone out there had and answer for. We purchased our home about a year ago, it is brand new and we are the first family to live in it. We have a 2 story and tile floors in the kitchen and hallway area. We turn the heater on in the morning to try and get the house warm to about 68 degrees or 70. When we wake up in the morning usually the temp in the house says 62 degrees. We live in california and inside the house seems alot colder in the winter than outside sometimes. And on an especially cold day the house is freezing inside unless you leave the heater on all day. My children's rooms are always freezing cold inside. Could we have an issue with our insulation? Could the builder which is cresleigh have shorted us on the amount of insulation used? Help we are in the dark as to what we can do? Oh and one last thing our gas and electric bill has been at least $500 a month and in January a crazy $850. We don't have the heater on all the time because we are worried that our bill will be more than it has ever been. Any ideas out there on what I can do???

katiealbano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
fabrk8r

Rewards Points: 0

What type of heating unit do you have? Forced air, hydronic, electric baseboard?

Old 04-13-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 8

Katie, Welcome to the Forum, The first thing I would do would ask the Gas Co to send out a Rep to check your house.
Then I would talk with your neighbors about any similarities.

I have found a non-contact thermometer a big help with temperature questions.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=96451
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote