Chicken Wire And Cement - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2011, 09:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Chicken wire and cement

Hey! I'm stripping the walls in my shower to re tile. There is chicken wire covered with a full 1.5 inches of cement and mortar then the tile. I spent four hours pounding and chiseling today and got about two feet by two feet off. A terrible rate.
Isn't there a power tool that will let me cut the chunks between the studs? Reciprocating saw? Grinder? Help! I'm too old to swing a sledge all day.

Advertisement

Taran7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Chicken wire and cement

Yes, a Sawzall with one of THESE bi-metal blades will do the trick in short order. I recommend "The Ax".

Advertisement

Last edited by Willie T; 05-14-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:17 PM   #3

Chicken wire and cement

Thank you, I will give that a try! Taran7
Old 05-15-2011, 02:53 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

Chicken wire and cement

Quote:
MIL48-00-502712" SUPER SAWZALL BI-METAL BLADE, 5/8 TPI (wood), 5-PACK12" LONG x 1" WIDE, SUPER SAWZALL BI-METAL BLADE "THE AX" (FOR WOOD NAIL EMBEDDED WOOD AND DEMOLATION). 5-PACK. PRICE/PACK

DEMOLATION ???

Shouldn't that be demolition?
Old 05-16-2011, 06:18 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,464

Chicken wire and cement

IMMOLATION close enough, bud ?
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:44 PM   #6

Chicken wire and cement

Actually, I ran into a contractor when I was in the store looking at reciprocating saw blades, etc. He talked me off the sawzall and into a 4.5" grinder with a diamond blade.
It cuts through the nearly two inches of tile and cement, falling just short of the wire, which I snip if the chunks don't fall. It works reasonably quickly, though it gets fire-hot after a couple of minutes. So I do a couple of two foot cuts, then let it rest while I sledge and snip the section out.
I can't imagine that I wouldn't have warped a few reciprocating blades doing this.
It's still slow, but it's DO-ABLE, which I was seriously doubting when I was just pounding the hell out of it.
One thing, if you're new to grinders--as I was--they are pretty scary doing this job. It kicks out sometimes and my Makita does not turn off automatically when you release the grip, so I've had visions of severed tendons dancing in my head. Plus it gets super hot.
So my plan is to suffer through this job and then put it up on ebay immediately!
Old 05-16-2011, 08:53 PM   #7
Learning by Doing

Chicken wire and cement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taran7 View Post
So my plan is to suffer through this job and then put it up on ebay immediately!
I'd encourage you not to ebay it. Lots of tools are scary 'til you've put some time on them. Angle grinders are a pretty handy DIY tool (I have three).
Old 05-16-2011, 08:57 PM   #8

Chicken wire and cement

Actually, I was wondering what else I'd ever use it for. What uses have you found? I've done a lot of stuff (though it may not sound like it) and never said to myself "oh, I wish I had a grinder right now"...?
Old 05-16-2011, 09:19 PM   #9
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

Chicken wire and cement

I will warn you that "heat" is an enemy of a diamond blade. Overheating will ruin and release the matrix prematurely. Why don't you use some water to cool the blade as you cut? Do you have a helper?
Old 05-16-2011, 09:32 PM   #10
Learning by Doing

Chicken wire and cement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taran7 View Post
Actually, I was wondering what else I'd ever use it for. What uses have you found? I've done a lot of stuff (though it may not sound like it) and never said to myself "oh, I wish I had a grinder right now"...?
Things I've used my angle grinder for in the last month or so:

First was something my sweet husband used it for: cutting half a dozen oil filters in half to compare and contrast the insides.

- cutting a large roll of chicken wire in half instead of cutting it with tin snips. I estimate I saved an hour of time (and because I bought a 36 inch * 50 foot roll I got 100 feet of 18 inch high fencing for a lot less money).

- shaving the tiniest bit off some 2x4s that didn't quite fit into the made-in-china brackets I bought for making saw horses.

- smoothing off the edge of a metal bracket that had a burr from manufacturing.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:11 AM   #11

Chicken wire and cement

Yeah, I've wondered if I should wet it, but I am working alone... How can I manage that when I'm concentrating on not severing my hand?
Old 05-17-2011, 12:14 AM   #12

Chicken wire and cement

Yes Leah, you're probably right. The second I sell it I'll need it for something...
Old 05-17-2011, 05:37 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,464

Chicken wire and cement

yes, ' heat is an enemy of a diamond blade ' but electric & water could be deadly enemies when cutting as you describe,,, i'd expect any segment loss would come from the abrasion of the blade core rather than segment wear,,, it doesn't sound as if you've got a lot of diamond cutting experience - i'd cut 12 long x 1" deep then cut again to your 2" depth,,, you are using the blade guard, yes ???????????????
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:21 AM   #14

Chicken wire and cement

True, zero experience with diamond blades
Okay, I will try your tip on cutting short distances twice.
Glad to not bring water into it.
What are the signs of wrecking the blade? I have two more walls to do and I'll be off of it.

Finally, does anyone agree or think that a sawzall with the "AX" blade would cut this? If so I could use a combo of grinder and sawzall? Or will it just warp and twist that blade up? 2 full inches of tile, concrete, chicken wire.

Score it with the grinder, finish with sawzall? (I would just try it but don't own a sawzall yet)

And thanks, everyone!
Old 05-17-2011, 10:24 AM   #15

Chicken wire and cement

Oh, and yes I'm using the blade guard, safety glasses, respirator, hat, the thickest shirt I own and steel toed boots. I have full respect for this horror!

Advertisement

Tags
cement wall , chicken wire , tile