Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2011, 04:53 PM   #1

Share |

chicken coop insulation

I am converting my kids' playhouse into a chicken coop. It is about 8x6, has a window on 3 sides and a dutch door on the 4th side. It has no insulation and I live in southern NH. I'd appreciate any help, in 'newbie' language! Thanks very much. It is 2x4 construction, pitched shingle roof, barn siding exterior.
JES57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:42 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

chicken coop insulation

Just put some 1" or 2" blue board insulation. Keep in mind in your territory, you will need to install a heater, or heating lamp in the coop, because the insulation alone will not keep them warm in your winters.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:27 PM   #3

chicken coop insulation

Is blue board equivalent to foam board insulation I saw at the box store (it was white and came in either 1" or 2") What about the roof?
Thanks!
Old 08-29-2011, 06:35 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

chicken coop insulation

Roof, same thing. The insulation can be blue, pink, white, rainbow, it is a matter of keeping the critters warm and snug in their shelter.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:38 PM   #5

chicken coop insulation

Thanks for your help - want them warm in their new coop.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:04 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

chicken coop insulation

Just keep in mind, they do like to peck, and using the white stryofoam that looks like foam coolers, is not the best. I would put 1/4" over it, and you could always use a wifi webcam to keep an eye on them, or a thermometer to know what the inside temp is.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:31 PM   #7
the Musigician

chicken coop insulation

I made a separated goat house INSIDE our large chicken coop. Last winter, our 3 goats helped immensely keeping the coop warm. We didn't have ANY frostbit combs or feet! Keep in mind you want to cover (sheath) any walls you insulate as the mice will make homes inside the insulation if you put cardboard or anything less than plywood/particle board on them. To help keep them at a minimum, do not leave food inside where the mice can get it.

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:43 PM   #8
Learning by Doing

chicken coop insulation

There are plenty of people who do not heat their coops even in the far north. I talked to a lady in Saskatchewan who said her hens keep sleeping outside until the night time temps drop well below freezing (their choice, not hers). I fretted immensely about my ladies their first winter. I installed a remote thermometer out in the coop so I could monitor them.

My 'roost box' (inside their coop) is approximately 2x36x36. My five hens keep the box warm enough with just their body heat. At 9 degrees below zero (F) they could keep their box 39 degrees. I would definitely build some sort of area inside the playhouse for them to roost in that has a large enough area for them to be comfortable, but is small enough for them to keep warm.

I elected not to heat the coop. After the blizzards we had that first year, I am glad I didn't fuss with it.

I do put plexi-glass up on all sides of the coop in the winter so they can get sun but stay out of the wind. It also helps keep the snow out.

Lastly, they get a deep layer of pine/cedar chips so they don't have to walk around on frozen ground.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:46 PM   #9
Learning by Doing

chicken coop insulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I made a separated goat house INSIDE our large chicken coop. Last winter, our 3 goats helped immensely keeping the coop warm. We didn't have ANY frostbit combs or feet! Keep in mind you want to cover (sheath) any walls you insulate as the mice will make homes inside the insulation if you put cardboard or anything less than plywood/particle board on them. To help keep them at a minimum, do not leave food inside where the mice can get it.

DM
I love the idea of the goats and chickens together. Four of our adult hens died in the miserable heat this summer and we have one adult hen left. She hangs out with the dogs right now. It's fun to watch them sharing a water dish.

Hopefully, when the biddies get bigger she will stop picking on them.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:11 PM   #10

chicken coop insulation

Thanks everyone! I'd love to have a goat or two - maybe when I have more space! I like the idea of the roosting box. I assume you meant the dimensions to be 2 feet x 36" x 36" right? I am enjoying re-using the playhouse as a coop. I love watching DIY shows on TV and have acquired a few skills, but always need to learn more, so thanks everyone for your suggestions! Any more??