Cheaper: Privacy Fence Or Farm Fence? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2009, 06:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cheaper: Privacy Fence or Farm Fence?

Hi... so, we are trying to decide between a 6 foot high cedar privacy fence and a 5 foot high cedar (or redwood) farm fence (3 rails) with vinyl-coated mesh wire. The total length of the fence would be around 500 feet.

We will be hiring the job out, not doing it ourselves, and are on a budget, so we need to go with the less expensive option. Any opinions or tips?

Advertisement

seattle457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Call the people who do this and get a few estimates.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Call the people who do this and get a few estimates.
Will probably end up doing that, but in addition to the cost question, I was hoping to also possibly pick up a few pros/cons from people here who have had experience with both fence types, since I have had neither.

We have a few acres of wooded land and don't really need the "Privacy" - we just need a nice looking fence that will keep our big dogs contained in the seeded area of our backyard. They can jump/climb over chain-link and basically anything 4 feet and under which is why we are considering a 6' privacy fence... but the farm fence seems nicer because it will not obstruct the views as much.

If one was a lot less expensive than the other, it would make the decision much easier.
seattle457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:43 PM   #4

Hi,

I currently have 6' solid privacy fence on 1 side and 6' chain link on the other. 150' sides and 135 between.
Purpose was same as your and that is to contain dogs.

Went solid 6' on 1 side because of neighbours and the other side is just a huge field. Biggest problem I had was not so much the height but them trying to dig and go under. However height was also an issue re jumping.
Eventually solved.

I need to further extend the fencing but will now be using wildlife fencing as it is a reasonable cost, higher than most fences ( 8' and more ). Will just toss up posts with 2X4's between and then U nail the fence to it.
Dig a small trench to bury 12 " of fence and still give me good height. Fence sold in 100 rod rolls.

Should talk to an expert about it and the purpose. They will guide you in the right direction.

Good luck.
Tom
ridata is offline   Reply With Quote