Cheaper Masonry Alternatives To Brick? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2007, 09:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Cheaper masonry alternatives to brick?

Hello,

We're buying a home and would like to build a detached garage. The neighborhood says:

"The building’s construction materials must be substantially similar in color, composition and design as that of the residential building, and at least 70% of the structure must be brick or masonry and generally meet the requirements for the principal residential building."

Are there any products that are like a veneer and look like brick but cost much less? Would the concrete siding be considered a masonry product? Is there any harm in submitting plans to the inspector with plans to use a (cheaper) masonry product that isn't real brick? If he says no, I'd just resbumit with plans to use brick, right?

I know that costs vary widely across the country but what is just a general ballpark cost to brick 70% of a 28x35 garage with 10 ft walls? I'm in Dallas, TX if that helps.

Thanks a bunch,
Jeff

Advertisement

Jemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:07 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 580

The veneer brick (thin brick) are more than regular brick. Stucco is the cheapest alternative when masonry is required.

Advertisement

Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 09:51 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Is there any plastering/stucco contractors in your area that does stucco brick?
stuccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:49 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Hmmm stuccoman,

I'm not sure. Do you have any pics of what it looks like? How do they charge for this, by the sq. ft?

I'll check the yellow pages though.
Jemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:55 AM   #5

Jemo,

No I have no pics. It looks like brick from a few feet away. As for the cost it would vary from region to region.

You might check some of the material yards and see if they have any connections.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:43 PM   #6

You're not going to get around the requirement for "substantially similar in color, composition and design as that of the residential building" with fake brick in my opinion. I would first look for other houses in the area that have been accepted with imitative materials.
mighty anvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 05:10 PM   #7
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

If 70% of the structure has to be brick or masonry, it is not worth changing to another finish for the remainder of the building. The 70% will almost certainly be figured on square footage of wall, excluding the area of the garage doors and windows, thus when you subtract this from the total square footage, you are locked into the brick/masonry construction purely by the numbers; the 70% was not just chosed by pulling a number out of the air. Brick work is not really that expensive, as other products have extra costs for painting. By "inspector" , I assume you mean the person representing the neighborhood association; the true "inspector" from the local regulatory board does not care about the asthetics of your building, his job is to check for adherance to the building code as related to structural integrity and safety issues.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 07:23 PM   #8

Google brickface

This is one of the sites!

http://www.tristate-brickface.com/

Last edited by stuccoman; 01-07-2007 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:55 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

I've seen a few different options for thin bricks.

1. Actual brick that has been cut to 1/2" or so and applied to a metal lath. Made by Owen Corning. www.owenscorning.com

2. a similar product to the 1/2" cut brick called Brick-it that uses a track system. www.brickit.com

3. A 1/8" simulated brick called Flexi-Brick. www.flexibrick.com Looks to be the easiest to install compared to the others, but I am not sure if it falls under the masonry guidelines.
mos816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 01:31 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 580

The Owens Corning product is NOT real brick cut thin, it is a cast concrete product.

Robinson Brick makes brick and cuts it thin: www.robinsonbrick.com

Both are applied over lath/stucco or hardi backer and tuckpointed.

Advertisement

Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote