Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #1

Share |

Cheap, lightweight wall ceiling sheathing for attic

I have a big open attic, I put plywood flooring down and made a huge room. The problem is that it can get very hot and cold up there, and it's also dirty and ugly with the open rafters.

I would like to do a bit of framing and throw up some knee walls on each side and a flat ceiling across the top, then I would like to insulate it.

The problem is the wall sheathing. I only have a pull down ladder to get up there so I can't bring up full sized boards. I also don't feel like bringing up heavy sheetrock and then having to spackle it.

What would you recommend as a lightweight and inexpensive sheathing that I could use? My plan was to just caulk the joints as the boards are being installed, then paint it all.

Last edited by Phildaglass; 07-29-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Phildaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:36 PM   #2

I have a similar issue, though my attic is much smaller than yours. It isn't even a room, only an 8-ft x 30-ft storage space. And I don't have a pull-down ladder, just a typical 2-foot-square access opening. Since it's in a log house, I've considered tongue-and-groove 1x6, which is what my ceilings are. But that wouldn't be cheap. Another option I guess would be 1/4-inch plywood, ripped down to a size that would fit through the opening.

Last edited by md2lgyk; 07-29-2012 at 04:39 PM.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:05 PM   #3

Are there any windows in this attic? If not, would you consider adding one? That would take care of the material handling issue. A window on each end would also help give you some cross ventilation. A large room without natural light would feel a little institutional.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #4

What exactly are you planning on using the attic for? Sounds like a lot of work for an area that can only be accessed with a pull down ladder.

How did you get the plywood sheets you already put down up there?
LVDIY is offline   Reply With Quote