Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2007, 02:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

cheap flooring for portable garage (outdoors)

I just recently bought an 8x16ft ish portable garage (rods and fitted tarp) that i plan to be my outdoor working area for this and that. I have the available area, but it is over dirt and i'm looking to put down some type of cheap floor. Right now i'm thinking crates or cinder block with some cheap 4 x 8 x .5 sheet wood.

Again, going cheap is my priority, but also i want to do it correctly to ensure longevity.

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.

bizgravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Try a dirt floor!!! Dig a trench around it and trench a path down hill, works great!! Did this before!! Or maybe just build yourself a couple of walls made out of pressure treated lumper and lay them down on the ground after you level it out perfectly. From my calculations it will cost you .60 per sq. ft.

localtradesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

"Again, going cheap is my priority, but also i want to do it correctly to ensure longevity."
This is a good example of a construction oxymoron.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
"Again, going cheap is my priority, but also i want to do it correctly to ensure longevity."
This is a good example of a construction oxymoron.
Ron
Not necessarily.

It doesn't have to be expensive to last a long time, but thanks for the pointless response!!
Old 11-02-2007, 05:22 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Come on now..... .60 a square foot isn't expensive is it?? I guess cheap and low cost are realitive to the amount you think is cheap. To me 3.00 per square foot is expensive for painting, but, it might be a good deal for someone else. How much do you want to spend?? Figure out what the budget will allow. My way with panels laying down will cost around 100 bucks. Guess you could think green and pick up some stuff off the curb when you see it. Go to the dump and see what they have there. Thats what we do in Wisconsin. Slow but steady here!!
localtradesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by localtradesman View Post
Come on now..... .60 a square foot isn't expensive is it?? I guess cheap and low cost are realitive to the amount you think is cheap. To me 3.00 per square foot is expensive for painting, but, it might be a good deal for someone else. How much do you want to spend?? Figure out what the budget will allow. My way with panels laying down will cost around 100 bucks. Guess you could think green and pick up some stuff off the curb when you see it. Go to the dump and see what they have there. Thats what we do in Wisconsin. Slow but steady here!!

No, $100 is definitely in my budget, and i thank you for your suggestion!!!

Old 11-08-2007, 02:36 PM   #7

I was researching the same info today. I want to put a 24x40 floor between to cargo containers. I found some plastic locking ones for 3.50-9.50 per foot. The inexpensive way I am leaning toward is level dirt,plastic vapor barrier,sand,2x4s and painted osb sheets. I would lay the 2x4s flat on the sand and screw the osb into them every 4 feet. If one rots out, I can spend the $10 and replace that panel. When I have to move the floor, just unscrew it and put it in the trailer.
1-lay the 2x4 in 7 40 foot strips
2-fill in between 2x4s with sand or dirt.
3-attatch OSB.

I think painting (marine paint?) the OSB and 2x4s will help preserve the wood for a while anyway. Thoughts?

30 4x8 osb @10=$300
280 ft 2x4 @0.15=$42
ContainerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:46 PM   #8

ContainerBob......i was actually thinking the same thing.......exactly the same thing. I live near the beach so i could even collect my own sand; i wouldn't need that much. What thickness OSB would you use, .5in? It seems like you would get a little flex in between the 2x4 at 4 ft apart? Maybe not....i'm not sure how rigid OSB is......i know it's under $10 for a 4 x 8 x 1/2 though, and that's mighty doable.........any other thoughts on this?
Old 11-08-2007, 03:19 PM   #9

I was thinking of 3/4 osb. I don't think the flex would matter too much. I was going with sand so that I could easily bring the filling to the top of the 2x4s. I think when I drive my trucks on it you would be passes all the weight to the sand. If you get a sheet with a little bounce after a while, I envision unscrewing it and putting some more sand.

Other thoughts - the only down side I read about with OSB is the swelling when wet. So I think LOTS of paint and keep it try from ground moisture. I am planning a roof over mine, so only spills should get it wet.

The stuff at duradeckmats.com is really interesting, but is is 3.5-7.5/sf. I am still brainstorming on this one.
Bob
ContainerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:23 PM   #10

right on......mine too would be covered, but i think i would paint as well. And i certainly won't be doing anything but walking on my floor. Thanks for the ideas, and keep them coming.......but i think i'm liking what i'm hearing.

Last edited by bizgravy; 11-08-2007 at 04:03 PM.