Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2011, 09:22 PM   #1

Share |

Changing to 16" OC

I have a two car detached garage that has the studs set 22.5" on center. I was wondering if there was any way for me to change it out to 16" OC. I was thinking I could start adding them at 16" then cutting out the old ones? I'm concerned about the roof support if I do this. Reason I would like to do it would be to make it a little more sturdy, I'm planning on jacking it up so I can run a course of block as a stem wall as water gets into the garage when it rains and the siding is rotting out as it touches the ground.
It looks like the garage has a course of red brick that is level with the garage slab, the walls are on the red brick at this time. I'll likely need to replace parts of the sill plate as well.
I guess my main question would be how to add the new studs, just toe nail them? Are there any ties or brackets I could use that would make the connection stronger? I could leave the old studs in to support the roof until the roof is redone too, I'll be replacing the roof and quite a bit of the decking and could use new rafters set to 16" centers when I do it, there area couple of rafters that have been sistered before, one had been twice so they aren't in the best of shape anyway. I can add pics later, I'm at work right now.
Sorry this is so long, I'm just not sure if this is something that could/should be done. I'd rather do it this way so I can do it piece by piece as I can afford it.

Thanks,
Bill

banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:27 PM   #2

Changing to 16" OC

Just add studs at the 16" interval. Do not remove the ones that are there. The sheathing is attached to those.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:48 PM   #3

Changing to 16" OC

Could I remove the old ones when I reside it?
This garage needs pretty much everything, I'm thinking lifting so I can build a stem wall is priority #1 but adding the studs at 16" would be easier and may add strength before I lift it.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:23 AM   #4
DIY staff

Changing to 16" OC

Post a picture of this,please. If the garage need to be rebuilt, it will make more sense to lift it up with jack walls and then replace the wall.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:26 AM   #5
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Changing to 16" OC

Do you plan to raise the entire garage or raise the foundation wall, leaving the roof line at the same elevation? If you raise the entire garage, then you'll need to rework door jambs, etc. Raising an entire garage is a trickier proposition than raising the foundation height by one course of block and shortening the stem walls by the equivalent amount.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:11 AM   #6

Changing to 16" OC

With all the work you seem to need, wouldn't it be easier to remove the structure and build another?
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:14 PM   #7

Changing to 16" OC

I'm planning on lifting the garage and setting it on one course of block so the whole thing will be ~8" higher, I'm looking to keep the water out when it rains. I have started working on making trenches for the water to go into when it rains but they get overwhelmed during a heavy storm and the garage is pretty much land locked so I have no real area to drain the water to.
Right now the only door is the main garage door, no entry doors or windows.
I'll have to get pictures later, it's raining right now.

Thanks for all the replys.
Bill
Old 07-15-2011, 05:59 PM   #8
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Changing to 16" OC

Something that i have done is to lag a 3 x 12 onto the interiors of the side walls, build cribbing in four sections of the garage to hold an "I" beam that is placed under the two ledgers.
No need to lift any part of the garage, if you do you would be changing the doorway openings, then you have to deal with new doors too.
Mark on the outside or inside, whichever is easier, then cut the bottom part of the wall off, the "I" beams will hold up the walls. You can do one wall at a time if you wish.

Anyway it works very well and is not so difficult that in could not be done DIY, (if you are somewhat ambitious).

Andy.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyGump For This Useful Post:
banjo (07-15-2011)
Old 07-15-2011, 08:11 PM   #9
I have gas!

Changing to 16" OC

Maybe it would be easier to rip it down and rebuild from scratch. Sounds like you're replacing much of the building materials anyway.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:21 PM   #10

Changing to 16" OC

I'm starting to think about tearing it down and rebuilding, my only concern is if I'll be able to get a permit to replace it where it stands. It's a few feet from the back of a commercial property on the left and possibly 5' from the residential property behind it. I know for sheds I have to have 5' of clearance from the neighbor's property but I'll have to read more about rebuilding a garage.
I never though of just cutting the bottoms of the garage off, that would definitley be easier, I was kind of looking forward to raising it though as I almost have to duck to enter the door.
I guess I'm looking for a way I can do this bit by bit instead of spending $5000+ and not have a garage for weeks while I completly rebuild it.

Here are some pics of the garage from when I bought the home back around Feb/March of this year to give you an idea of it's construction, it really looks like a kit someone bought and did themselves. The sill plate is on red brick that seems to be tied into the slab, the garage seems to have been built before the slab was poured as the feet for the workbench and a bookshelf are set in the concrete and rotted out, there is also some concrete I can see udner the workbench that was not finished, just left lumpy.
https://picasaweb.google.com/William...93645250677426
https://picasaweb.google.com/William...93672994328546
https://picasaweb.google.com/William...93687210320530

Thanks again!
Bill

Last edited by banjo; 07-15-2011 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Adding pics
Old 07-16-2011, 07:08 AM   #11
DIY staff

Changing to 16" OC

I think the village will not allow you to build a new garage in the same location--

That one is very lightly built--If you do decide to lift this one up --add plenty of bracing--

It's not a strong structure.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:37 AM   #12
old guy contractor

Changing to 16" OC

Add a stud in the middle of each bay and create 12" o.c.
Sheet goods still work and 24" insulation can be ripped in half.
No need to rip out anything.........
tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tcleve4911 For This Useful Post:
loneframer (07-16-2011)
Old 07-16-2011, 08:09 AM   #13

Changing to 16" OC

Has there been a fire in that building?
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:15 AM   #14
Framing Contractor

Changing to 16" OC

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjo View Post
I'm starting to think about tearing it down and rebuilding, my only concern is if I'll be able to get a permit to replace it where it stands. It's a few feet from the back of a commercial property on the left and possibly 5' from the residential property behind it. I know for sheds I have to have 5' of clearance from the neighbor's property but I'll have to read more about rebuilding a garage.
I never though of just cutting the bottoms of the garage off, that would definitley be easier, I was kind of looking forward to raising it though as I almost have to duck to enter the door.
I guess I'm looking for a way I can do this bit by bit instead of spending $5000+ and not have a garage for weeks while I completly rebuild it.

Here are some pics of the garage from when I bought the home back around Feb/March of this year to give you an idea of it's construction, it really looks like a kit someone bought and did themselves. The sill plate is on red brick that seems to be tied into the slab, the garage seems to have been built before the slab was poured as the feet for the workbench and a bookshelf are set in the concrete and rotted out, there is also some concrete I can see udner the workbench that was not finished, just left lumpy.
https://picasaweb.google.com/William...93645250677426
https://picasaweb.google.com/William...93672994328546
https://picasaweb.google.com/William...93687210320530

Thanks again!
Bill
No reason at all to tear the garage down. All you need to do is brace up the walls one at a time and cut the bottom off and add a course of block.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:05 PM   #15

Changing to 16" OC

I haven't seen any signs of fire damage, I'm assuming you're asking due to the paint? The only damage I've seen has been water damage and quite a decent amount unfortunately. Thanks for all the replies! It's nice having a place to discuss this with people that know what their doing.