Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2008, 01:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Challenge: Build a wall in front of Garage door

Hi everyone I'm Pink toolbelt although you can just call me pink. I want to thank you all for this forum because I'm learning a lot. After searching the web, with no luck, I'm turning to you for advice.

Awhile back I had one of our garages (single car) converted into a playroom for my large birds. Yes, birds. The one thing I left alone was the actual garage door which is a standard metal roll up. Now I am preparing to frame it in and drywall. Here's my challenge. The door has those common small windows up top and I do not want to cover those up since the birds love to look out of them.

I am trying to figure out if I can frame from the window down or do I need to do a "standard" ceiling to floor frame with the dry wall framing around the windows. I hope you understand my description. I'm still growing into my toolbelt and have a lot to learn so forgive me if I'm not using the correct terms. My goal is to frame/insulate/drywall but again, my challenge is the window. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as well as photos or videos of similar projects since I can follow along.

Again, thank you for all of your expertise here. I know I will learn a lot.
"Pink"

pink toolbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 05:01 AM   #2
Whatamess

Rewards Points: 250

If your goal is to only frame and insulate the inside then you have the right idea. Frame from the window down and up. When finished top out the wall with a 1X6 sealed against the door for looks and too set plants on or what ever on.
What kind of bird do you have?

Old 11-08-2008, 05:27 AM   #3
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

What I have done in the past is to remove the garage door jamb weather striping and install 5/4" x 2" in its place. then screwed the door tight to the strips that i installed outside. removed all lift springs and over head track, then framed my wall. as far as the glass windows the poster above has the right idea. If you have the torsion type of springs leave them and frame over them. BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thank you both for the suggestions. I am going to get started in a few days and will keep you posted. thanks again!
Pink toolbelt
pink toolbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:19 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Garage doors and hardware can be sold. If you sold yours, it could off-set the cost of closing in the door.
If heat loss is important a double glazed window could be installed into the standard framed opening!
In good weather, the window could be opened and your bird could get some fresh air!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote