Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 07:18 AM   #1
Member
 
Amateuralex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 281
Share |
Question

certainteed monogram 46


Howdy folks. We are thinking of getting new siding and gutters. We had three quotes, and by far preferred one company for several reasons. They are a local small business. They install Certainteed stuff, and the line we liked was monogram 46. I've read good things.

Any opinions or comments about this?

Amateuralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:35 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 26,246
Default

certainteed monogram 46


It's good stuff, the 46 is for .046, which is really thick for vinyl siding.
EG. the siding in the box store may be .040 or .042 thick.
I would have picked them just because they happen to install that brand though. Any installer can install any brand of siding, and lap siding is installed the same no matter what brand it is.

Are you going to have them wrap all the windows and fashia and add vinyl soffit before the siding? Now would be the time to do it to make it all maintaince free.

Take a few min. to look over the certainteed trim website. There's lots of simple things that can be done to really dress up a vinyl siding job.
Window and door trims, using there vinyl cove moulding that's made so the soffit just slips into it and the horizontal siding slip in from the bottom instead of using two pieces of J moulding.
Raised outside corners.

Make sure to go by and look at some of his other jobs and talk to past customers!

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #3
Member
 
Amateuralex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 281
Default

certainteed monogram 46


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
It's good stuff, the 46 is for .046, which is really thick for vinyl siding.
EG. the siding in the box store may be .040 or .042 thick.
I would have picked them just because they happen to install that brand though. Any installer can install any brand of siding, and lap siding is installed the same no matter what brand it is.
Great to hear.

Quote:
Are you going to have them wrap all the windows and fashia and add vinyl soffit before the siding? Now would be the time to do it to make it all maintaince free.
Yup, wrapping every door and window is part of the job, as are all new faschia and soffits. In fact, one of the main drivers of this project is the fact that my house has ZERO soffit vents and totally inadequate gable vents right now and that's causing problems. The guys I am hiring are really good with attic venting and based on the ridge vents my roof has, they want to close up the small gable vents and do soffit vents all over with the hidden soffit panels. His installation process (if i remember all the details correctly) includes tearing off the old siding, repairing the wood, wrapping the house with a membrane (it's the certainteed version of tyvek), then taping around the windows and doors, then putting up 3/4 foam insulation, then the siding, wrapping windows and doors, and caulk.

I pushed him on the caulk issue. While caulk gets better all the time, it's still likely to need to be re-caulked after 20-30 years. He acknowledged that.

He's doing our gutters too with seamless aluminum. Even the end caps are part of the seamless piece, and they use a special glue that practically bonds the downspouts to the gutters. Almost like soldering them?

Quote:
Take a few min. to look over the certainteed trim website. There's lots of simple things that can be done to really dress up a vinyl siding job.
Window and door trims, using there vinyl cove moulding that's made so the soffit just slips into it and the horizontal siding slip in from the bottom instead of using two pieces of J moulding.
Raised outside corners.
Thanks I am glad you say that, because that's what the contractor advised us and I thought it sounded good when he said it. He actually does a lot of extra stuff with the vinyl-coated aluminum product that goes along with the siding. He does a thing called 'dentition' above the garage door and in the gable above the front door that he showed us pictures of, and he can do your columns and all sorts of other cool stuff too. He uses that same product to wrap the windows and doors and too. He also does a 'sunburst' that we will probably pass on, but it's cool what you can do with it!

Quote:
Make sure to go by and look at some of his other jobs and talk to past customers!
He's got great reviews on servicemagic and I checked out his BBB and state licensing, and it looks legit, and I will definitely get a written contract etc, but I think now I'll also ask for addresses of other jobs so I can drive over and look at them. Very good advice.

It's a lifetime warranty on the siding for fading etc, transferable to the next owner up to 50 years from the install date, and 15 years warranty on the labor. If we went with the premier product, the cedar impressions, it's lifetime warranty on the labor. His company has been around since 2006 when he left his dad's business and started his own. It's a 3 generations of contractors apparently.

Greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by Amateuralex; 03-29-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Amateuralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
Roofmaster
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,530
Default

certainteed monogram 46


Well, just a few comments, based on your description.

1. You dont want the downspouts permanently attached to the gutters in case you need to remove them to clear debris. Attach to drops with short color matched hex head self tapping screws.

2. You cant "wrap" windows and doors that are in already, unless you are going to pull them out, which I doubt. Taping is great, as long as it is done correctly, and shingled to shed water. Bottom over house wrap, Sides over bottom over house wrap, Top over sides under house wrap.

3. You want fully vented soffit, not hidden soffit vents, they dont move enough air. They will probably have to add insulation baffles to allow airflow over your attic insulation.

4. I would only use 100% Silicone Color Matched sealant, and clean the metal first with Naphtha for adhesion. Most other sealants are organic, and will black mold.

Maybe I just misunderstood, Good Luck!
__________________
" A lot of men build things, and a lot of things fall down "

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:26 AM   #5
Member
 
Amateuralex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 281
Default

certainteed monogram 46


Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
Well, just a few comments, based on your description.
Greatly appreciate it.

Quote:
1. You dont want the downspouts permanently attached to the gutters in case you need to remove them to clear debris. Attach to drops with short color matched hex head self tapping screws.
Yeah I am not an expert on it. I think they are screwed on, but instead of caulk they use this glue that has a better bond. I'll ask for details as we go forward. The guy gave us his pitch, we got the other quotes, and I called him back to tell him we were leaning heavily in his direction. Next comes a lot of the details like colors etc and I can work this part out.

Quote:
2. You cant "wrap" windows and doors that are in already, unless you are going to pull them out, which I doubt. Taping is great, as long as it is done correctly, and shingled to shed water. Bottom over house wrap, Sides over bottom over house wrap, Top over sides under house wrap.
Maybe I used the wrong terminology? They use the vinyl-coated aluminum trim stuff to create nice 'molding' for the windows and doors. Like mitered molding but instead made out of this aluminum stuff?

Quote:
3. You want fully vented soffit, not hidden soffit vents, they dont move enough air. They will probably have to add insulation baffles to allow airflow over your attic insulation.
Hmm OK I'll talk to him about this. From what I've read, the hidden vents work fine so I'll research this!

Quote:
4. I would only use 100% Silicone Color Matched sealant, and clean the metal first with Naphtha for adhesion. Most other sealants are organic, and will black mold.
For the gutters? Oh, or for the aluminum trim? OK cool let me talk to him about this.

Greatly appreciate your advice.

Last edited by Amateuralex; 03-29-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Amateuralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:40 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 26,246
Default

certainteed monogram 46


Properly installed vinyl siding does not need to be caulked.
If your going to go over the walls with foam then all the windows and door trims are going to have to be built out before they get wrapped. The trim needs to stick out behond the siding.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:17 AM   #7
747
registered
 
747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Illinois (kankakee county)
Posts: 1,330
Default

certainteed monogram 46


Mongram 46 is premo vinyl. This guy sounds like he knows what he is doing. The little things really dress up a vinyl job. Sounds like he is a fan of this. I agree with the fully vented soffits. There what i have. There the aluminum soffits with the little slits in them.

Last edited by 747; 03-30-2013 at 01:26 AM.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:38 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pacific North west
Posts: 1,230
Default

certainteed monogram 46


Nothing wrong with vinyl done right all you have to do is wash it.

Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Certainteed roofing class action suit RWolff Roofing/Siding 6 01-27-2013 04:29 PM
Manufacture History Roofmaster417 Roofing/Siding 6 02-23-2012 02:40 AM
Certainteed Shingles Claim vkaura Roofing/Siding 4 09-20-2011 11:33 AM
certainteed mainstreet vs monogram njeb Remodeling 1 02-10-2009 06:39 AM
Elk Prestique v. CertainTeed Landmark Shingle? CindiChm Roofing/Siding 1 09-24-2007 11:53 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.