Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2009, 04:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Angry

Central Vac rough in confusion

I just got a central vac unit and our house is roughed in. As I was hooking it up I relized the top floor is hooked up to the garage (where the unit is). The main floor outlet goes directly to the basement. The two outlets are not connected so I spoke with our builder about it and they said I would need to cut into the garage from the basement and run the main floor outlet to the basement and then to the garage. From what I have heard the central vac unit should be one contious circuit and shouldnt have two pipes going in to the garage. Can anyone help me with this?

speyersz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

this is not critical. But be sure they use a fire rated adapter to penetrate the fire wall between the house and the garage.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

this is not critical. But be sure they use a fire rated adapter to penetrate the fire wall between the house and the garage.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:34 PM   #4

2 pipes, 3 pipes or more, doesnt matter. 99% chance you'll only be using one at a time. its otay
II Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:31 PM   #5

Actualy 100% chance, the vac will not work properly with two inlets open.
The second run to the garage will not be an issue if it is piped correctly. Before you drill throught to the garage it would help to hang the vac in your proposed location and try to line up th upstairs and downstairs pipes on the garage wall. If you can align them directly above each other there is a 2 way WYE which will redirect both Correctly into the vac with no gravity bypass issues. If you cut a 2 1/4" hole inthe drywall garage side you can countersink a MEDIUM 90 elbow flush with the wall if you cut the pipe flush as well. Then it's easy to seal as well.

Also be sure to offset your overhead run in the basement to the side and not directly above any basement inlets while running towards the garage.
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
central vac, rough-in, vacuum