Central Vac Exhaust - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Central vac exhaust

The exhaust for my central vac is just fed into the crawlspace under my garage. Can you think of any reason it would be done this way other than perhaps muffle noise? Is there lot of dust and other debris that can perhaps make it through and shoot out the exhaust? I'm thinking of just cutting it just before it enters as it is in the way for framing. I can always frame around it, but if I don't have to, it will make things easier and also allow to keep the opening big enough. There will probably be a door that goes there.
Attached Thumbnails
Central vac exhaust-dsc04962.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by Red Squirrel; 03-15-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,032

Central vac exhaust

what does the manufacturer recommend?

Advertisement

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
Wire Chewer

Central vac exhaust

It's from 1982, not much can be found on it. What is typical for these? I'm thinking it's safe to just cut it at the top and then get an elbow and make it point down on the floor, but just want to be sure. It looks like there's a muffler at the vacuum itself too.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 624

Central vac exhaust

It's nice to get the exhaust out of the house for noise and odor.

I'm not sure how you could have a muffler on it if it goes to the exterior.

You sure can cut it off.

I trust you won't cut off an inlet.

I don't care for the way it drops down and goes back up and out anyway.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,696

Central vac exhaust

Dust particles of the filter micron size is what you'll be dealing with and I doubt the central system operation matters where it discharges but if you can tolerate it will be more concern.

When you make the changes abandon those short radius ells if possible and install long radius ( long sweep ) ells for better air flow. If the whole system has the short radius ells let's hope it wasn't installed by a professional.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:35 PM   #6
Wire Chewer

Central vac exhaust

yeah it's all short radius L's as far as I see. I'll go ahead and cut it then and leave it as is. I've been thinking of buying a standard vacuum anyway and this will probably not really be used at that point. I'm actually surprised it still runs! They don't make stuff like they used to.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #7
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,292

Central vac exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
yeah it's all short radius L's as far as I see. I'll go ahead and cut it then and leave it as is. I've been thinking of buying a standard vacuum anyway and this will probably not really be used at that point. I'm actually surprised it still runs! They don't make stuff like they used to.
That is an understatement.

You probably would have gone through 4 vacuums over the same amount of time in today's "quality".
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:40 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 340

Central vac exhaust

Even with a muffler there still is a bit of noise out of them it's just that it's tolerable.

Mine vents into the garage and I've never seen a bit of dust come out of the exhaust.

Here's a web site a friend sent me a while back that they order from and they have a unit of your era.

http://builtinvacuum.com/products.html
High Gear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:53 PM   #9
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,628

Central vac exhaust

Well....when you consider that a 'portable' vacuum vents into the room your in......I can't see how it's an issue.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

Central vac exhaust

I borrowed a friends idea for a homemade exhaust muffler for my central vac. Without one, it was way too noisy. I then extended it out of the basement side wall, but the noise was embarrasing still. I used some 2 inch plastic plumbing pipe and drilled 1/4 inch holes all over about 2 feet of that pipe. It is a lot of drilling, but it is worth it. I think the holes were about 3/4 in apart all around the 2 feet of pipe. Before assembling the pipe, I slid on some fiberglass pipe insulation (as use on steam pipes). Assemble the balance of your pipes and you will not believe how well it works. My vac is now very very quiet. Almost no cost.
Ray103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #11
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,628

Central vac exhaust

How about some pics?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 10

Central vac exhaust

Hi again - I took a pic of my vac muffler setup. This is the 1st pic I've ever uploaded, so I hope it comes out.

On the left of the vac is a plastic pipe that is horizontal, then goes verticle. The 2 fatter sections are the pieces of muffler that I described in my previous post. They are nothing more than plastic pipe sections with lots and lots of holes, covered with steam pipe insulation. Works great, and very little noise.
Attached Thumbnails
Central vac exhaust-img_0267a.jpg  

Advertisement

Ray103 is offline   Reply With Quote