Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2011, 10:00 PM   #1
CJ1

Share |

Cement Truck mobility

Where exactly can a loaded cement truck drive? Can I cross my corn field to get to a house project? Will it sink? Will it be OK?

CJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:10 PM   #2

Cement Truck mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
Where exactly can a loaded cement truck drive? Can I cross my corn field to get to a house project? Will it sink? Will it be OK?
Normally, you build a road to the building site first. It just makes things easier after that.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:29 PM   #3
Too Old

Cement Truck mobility

You may want to ask the cement company because I don't think anyone here can talk for them. My experience is like the previous post, you are talking about 25 tons or more in 1 truck.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:54 PM   #4
General Contractor

Cement Truck mobility

If the ground is at all wet, then you might have a problem. It's about a $500 towing bill if it gets stuck. So yeah I would definitely go over it with the batch plant and tell them what the conditions of the ground is before ordering. Tell them you want an experienced driver too if you decide to do it.

By the way, don't tell them you want a cement truck. That may be part of what's in there, but that's not what they are hauling. We call it concrete.
KennMacMoragh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:53 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Cement Truck mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
If you think that it can, go ahead. Friends of ours had to use a dozer to help pull the concrete trucks up their hill, due to they kept getting stuck on the road, even though it was prepped. Fully loaded concrete trucks are heavier than snot.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:59 AM   #6

Cement Truck mobility

For me I would order a concrete pump.30 plus years in concrete conctruction.Even if the concrete supplier says than can,They will have you sign a release.You will still be paying for all truck time to get it out,plus concrete,labor for finishers.Plus hearing your wife say i told you so.Concrete pumps cost 350.00 on up.Very cheap.Good luck-----.

We all no alot but can only do a little.

Last edited by kchunt; 08-17-2011 at 11:03 AM. Reason: one more comment.
kchunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:16 AM   #7

Cement Truck mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchunt View Post
For me I would order a concrete pump.30 plus years in concrete conctruction.Even if the concrete supplier says than can,They will have you sign a release.You will still be paying for all truck time to get it out,plus concrete,labor for finishers.Plus hearing your wife say i told you so.Concrete pumps cost 350.00 on up.Very cheap.Good luck-----.

We all no alot but can only do a little.
Pump trucks have a distance limitation. I don't know if they can span a corn field.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:23 AM   #8

Cement Truck mobility

Most concrete batch plants have a guy that drives around and checks on jobs that they are delivering to. You can call the concrete company and describe your concerns and ask if they will look at it. They don't want a truck stuck any worse than you do.
icreate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:47 AM   #9

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Cement Truck mobility

icreate -

A corn field is definitely not a good access, especially if it rains the night before the delivery.

I agree about alerting the concrete supplier. Every minute the truck is delayed will create tons pf problems for the regular customers that are ready to pour, but have the concrete late. A supplier will always take a chance on being a few minutes early than incur the wrath and back charges from a regular customer.

A good supplier will have a "nose" for jobs that may be a problem and shove the questionable ones back in the schedule, unless they know what they might find when they get there.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:56 AM   #10
Retired from the grind

Cement Truck mobility

Don't know about that Ron. They can lift up 35 plus story buildings to 800 feet or more into the air.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:17 PM   #11

Cement Truck mobility

If and when you get the foundation poured if thats what your doing,you still have to worry about othe suppliers.Your safe bet is just build a road with proper compaction your going to need it soon anyway.

We all no alot but can only do a little-----.
kchunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:54 PM   #12
Concrete & Masonry

Cement Truck mobility

If the corn is off already, I assume it was green-chopped into semi-trailers, or some other extremely heavy equipment. If it was dry & relatively solid & flat, I wouldn't think twice about taking a loaded concrete truck through a corn field I owned. We've taken them in far more precarious places than an empty field in the past.

The best advice yet is to simply call the supplier & have them stop out & check first. Maybe one of the drivers can even stop when/if they are close by.

Around here, 99% of ready-mix trucks are 6x6 front discharge with float tires on all drive axles. They can coax there way into almost every location you can possible pour concrete this time of year. And that's all that really matters, is that they can get to the location to discharge, because when they leave, the truck will only be 1/3 the weight of when it's completely full.

On another note concrete pumps aren't as common around here as other areas, so even a smaller 36 meter truck will run us at least $700 minimum, with a few loads through it being even more. The smallest corn fields here would be maybe 10 acres, with 40 being more likely. I can't imagine what it would cost to pump that far.

Last edited by jomama45; 08-17-2011 at 12:56 PM.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #13

Cement Truck mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Don't know about that Ron. They can lift up 35 plus story buildings to 800 feet or more into the air.
But do you think they will have those capacity trucks in a rural area?
And what about the cost of those trucks?
Cost effective in a corn field pour?
The question related to the house in the cornfield. My answers and the questions always relate to the poster and his conditions.
But, I'm always interested in finding out new information.
For that, I thank you.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:41 PM   #14
Retired from the grind

Cement Truck mobility

availability ron, doubtful. Cost effective not.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:14 PM   #15
Household Handyman

Cement Truck mobility

Learn from my experience: I needed to pour a monolithic floor for a large shop, 36 ft. x 50 ft. This was on a 1 1/2 acre tract I had bought and we had "tractor graded" a road into the lot to get to the shop site. I called the concrete company, offered to e-mail photos of the "graded road" to assure no problems the morning of the pour. "No problem", the concrete company says, I'm familiar with that area and with the dry weather we have had that ground is harder than the Interstate." The first of four trucks comes out, he looks at the ground and asks me: "Can I drive over that dirt"? My answer is: "I don't really know, you know you're truck better than I, so you look at it and you make the decision". He walked the length of the "graded driveway" and told me it would be fine. NOPE! ! The truck bogged down less than 100 ft. in to the drive. Short story: He had to dump the mud on the property to keep it from hardening, without my permission. A large tow truck was called in by the concrete company that had to winch the mud truck out. Then I get the bill for the concrete, the tow truck, and one truck that didn't make the site. They "said" they had to dump that load as it sat too long. Yes, we are in litigation over this. Another mud company told me NOT to pave the drive way as the concrete would be cracked by their trucks. I'm on hold now. Lesson learned: Get every darn thing in writing.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote