Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2007, 05:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Cement slab timing

I have a small concrete mixer that is supposed to be able to mix five bags of 60 pounds premix at a time. Realistically it can mix three bags at a time. I'm thinking about pouring a slab 8' by 17' three and a half inches deep. I will have one helper. Obviously I am try to save some money, and I'm not afraid of hard work, but I am beginning to wonder if it can be done. I'm concerned that the part of the slab I pour first will set up before I am finished. I guess I could pour it in three sections. Any ideas? Thanks

sluggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:01 PM   #2

Cement slab timing

That's a lot of concrete to mix with 60 lb bags. With a quick in head calculation I get about 1.5 yards or about 60 bags or 20 batches. I would check the cost of having 1.5 yards delivered ready-mixed and compare to cost of 60 bags.

spebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:29 PM   #3

Cement slab timing

Contact the cement suppliers and ask about having a "hot load" delivered.
If you set up forms, no larger than 60-80 square feet, they can deliver surplus cement from same day jobs. The catch is, you need to have someone able to be there prior to delivery. They can usually call ahead with a 15 minute lead time. Plan accordingly with forms all braced up and finishing tools ready in order to save a fair amount of cost and hassle. Realize that you won't have the luxury of time to screed and finish off much more than a couple of yards.
RemodelMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:56 PM   #4
ICF Construction

Rewards Points: 250

Cement slab timing

Pending your location look for someone that rents concrete trailers, they hold a yard, so you will need to do two trips, this will still be quicker and cheaper than purchasing the 60 bags of ready mix.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:21 AM   #5

Cement slab timing

I also have one of those 3 bag mixers. I thought it would be great having one but I am finding that it is really only handy in small jobs. I recently poured a 10'X14' and it was cheaper and a lot less work to have a truck bring a load out.
rodsteryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:53 AM   #6

Cement slab timing

Thank you all for your replies. I think I will use my small concrete mixer for the small jobs. I will check into the suggestions about getting either a truck load of concrete, or a trail of already mixed concrete. Thanks again.

sluggermike is offline   Reply With Quote