Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2011, 12:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Cement slab concern

When we have medium to heavy rains....the carpet along the baseline area along the wall in our rec room covering 3-4 ft gets wet.

We think the cement slab was installed incorrectly along the home outside and it also slants towards the home slightly. We don't know if it is better to cut back 12 inches and put in rocks or get rid of the slab entirely.

Pics:
https://picasaweb.google.com/pewaukeedp/PatioPics#

dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:37 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,126

Cement slab concern

I have a hard figuring out there the leak shows up on the inside.

Everything looks like it is significantly above the patio elevation. I would suspect a possible poor installation of the sliding door and the water accumulates at floor level and shows up there. Leakage around openings is very common because most doors are not installed properly. Vinyl siding is in no way waterproof.

Dick

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:59 PM   #3

Cement slab concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post

Everything looks like it is significantly above the patio elevation. I would suspect a possible poor installation of the sliding door and the water accumulates at floor level and shows up there. Leakage around openings is very common because most doors are not installed properly. Vinyl siding is in no way waterproof.

Dick
Water has to be going over the foundation somehow. Replacing the patio door would help?
Old 03-30-2011, 02:00 PM   #4

Cement slab concern

Quote:

Dick
Bad vinyl sliding door.

Makes sense, but why wasn't my carpeting upstairs ever wet?
We chalked the eternal frame pretty good.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:15 PM   #5

Cement slab concern

I guess you never mentioned that the rec room is in the basement.

From what I have seen the water problems usually (75%) come from poor installation and not from the door. Don't rule out the installation unless you are absolutely sure the slab does not drain properly AND the basement wall waterproofing is inadequate.

There probably is no drain tile if you are in Pewaukee, since it is not required or normal. Is there any sign of water running down the face of the basement walls inside?

Even if the patio drains properly within comfort/usability limits, wind can easily push the water against the foundation.

Dick
Old 03-30-2011, 05:05 PM   #6

Cement slab concern

Quote:
I guess you never mentioned that the rec room is in the basement.

From what I have seen the water problems usually (75%) come from poor installation and not from the door. Don't rule out the installation unless you are absolutely sure the slab does not drain properly AND the basement wall waterproofing is inadequate.

There probably is no drain tile if you are in Pewaukee, since it is not required or normal. Is there any sign of water running down the face of the basement walls inside?

Even if the patio drains properly within comfort/usability limits, wind can easily push the water against the foundation.

Dick
We do have drain tile actually. It is a finished rec room so we have no idea if there is water running down the face.

Look at the pics and you will notice the wooden step has no siding above it or below it. Should I replace it with a waterproofed step, insulate behind and add siding?
Old 03-30-2011, 05:11 PM   #7
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,128

Cement slab concern

From looking at the pics, it sure appears that the wall wasn't prepped correctly and the patio was poured too high to start with. Hard to tell if it pitches adequately w/o a picture of a level on it. I can't think of one good reason to pour directly against vinyl siding either.

Dick, how do you know what state the poster's in??
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:18 PM   #8

Cement slab concern

jomama45 -

Just a guess and a little detective work. The link to picasa contained "pewaukee", which is a rather unique name/term. I assumed it was somewhere near Milwaukee, Zilwaukee or some of the other "waukees". I know it is not on the 1 block long Milwaukee Street in Minneapolis, but could be near the Milwaukee line RR. I think it is south and west of Luxembourg, WI where my great-grandfather lived.

I do not use road map in WI since I am Scandinavian and German and comfortable as long as I am with 50 miles of Highways 8, 10, 29, 41, 53 or 70 or I94, or anywhere near a concrete block or precast plant.

Dick

Last edited by concretemasonry; 03-30-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:27 PM   #9

Cement slab concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
From looking at the pics, it sure appears that the wall wasn't prepped correctly and the patio was poured too high to start with. Hard to tell if it pitches adequately w/o a picture of a level on it. I can't think of one good reason to pour directly against vinyl siding either.

Dick, how do you know what state the poster's in??
what would you suggest?
Old 03-30-2011, 06:40 PM   #10
Concrete & Masonry

Cement slab concern

Quote:
jomama45 -

Just a guess and a little detective work. The link to picasa contained "pewaukee", which is a rather unique name/term. I assumed it was somewhere near Milwaukee, Zilwaukee or some of the other "waukees". I know it is not on the 1 block long Milwaukee Street in Minneapolis, but could be near the Milwaukee line RR. I think it is south and west of Luxembourg, WI where my great-grandfather lived.

I do not use road map in WI since I am Scandinavian and German and comfortable as long as I am with 50 miles of Highways 8, 10, 29, 41, 53 or 70 or I94, or anywhere near a concrete block or precast plant.

Dick
LOL, yea, it's certainly South & West of Luxembourg, by about 120 miles or so. Funny story about Lux. is that the original settler's there are mostly from Belgium, which is just North of me, and subsequently full of Luxembourger's. Seems the names were accidentally switched by the state when they were being founded in the late 1800's.

And BTW, the odds are this house does indeed have both interior & exterior draintile along with bleeders & a sump crock. It's been code for at least as I've been alive.

PS, does Bend Inds. or Van Der Vaart ring a bell???

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur1 View Post
what would you suggest?
Can you access the skirt/floor joists directly behind the patio from the basement, or is the ceiling drywalled??
If you can, you're likely to see water damage as well as an obvious path.

When we pour against any part of the home that isn't concrete or masonry, we always flash the wood substrate first with I&W or the like.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:08 PM   #11

Cement slab concern

Quote:
LOL, yea, it's certainly South & West of Luxembourg, by about 120 miles or so. Funny story about Lux. is that the original settler's there are mostly from Belgium, which is just North of me, and subsequently full of Luxembourger's. Seems the names were accidentally switched by the state when they were being founded in the late 1800's.

And BTW, the odds are this house does indeed have both interior & exterior draintile along with bleeders & a sump crock. It's been code for at least as I've been alive.

Can you access the skirt/floor joists directly behind the patio from the basement, or is the ceiling drywalled??

When we pour against any part of the home that isn't concrete or masonry, we always flash the wood substrate first with I&W or the like.
I can. There's no water damage...
Old 03-31-2011, 07:12 PM   #12

Cement slab concern

Quote:

so what do you guys think?
Old 03-31-2011, 07:53 PM   #13
Concrete & Masonry

Cement slab concern

Do you have any kind of evidence that the water is coming from above and running down the interior of the foundation wall?? Can you see some evidence of water streaking or something?
Old 03-31-2011, 08:41 PM   #14

Cement slab concern

Quote:
Do you have any kind of evidence that the water is coming from above and running down the interior of the foundation wall?? Can you see some evidence of water streaking or something?
I really don't have any evidence. The sump pump works fine. I don't know what else it could be. The drywall in the rec room isnt wet but the poured concrete wall behind it may be. No way I can check it though.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:09 AM   #15
Concrete & Masonry

Cement slab concern

Then all we can do is speculate. Considering the wood skirt looks OK, I would lean towards a high water table issue, like a blocked draintile, etc...