Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2008, 06:46 PM   #1

Share |

Cement Siding Install.

I am about to start the task of installing all new windows and Cement siding and boxing on my house.

I have priced the job with the local Home Depot and also with BuildDirect online company.

The siding is about $500 cheaper at build direct but it is brand "Prima" and not name brand "Hardi". Does anyone have experience with this manufacturer. "$500" will buy me a nail gun and saw pretty quickly.

Next item. When actually executing should I install the siding or the boxing first? Also what are the advantages and disadvantages of Cement boxing vs. vinyl boxing. Currently I do have a small squirrel problem and they simply chew new holes in the wood all the time. Hopefully the Cement or Vinyl will stop that issue in it's tracks.

thanks for the help ahead of time.
cutiger95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:11 PM   #2
I have gas!

Cement Siding Install.

What's boxing?
Old 01-14-2008, 07:47 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Cement Siding Install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiger95 View Post
The siding is about $500 cheaper at build direct but it is brand "Prima" and not name brand "Hardi". Does anyone have experience with this manufacturer....
Sorry, can't hep you there.

Quote:
Next item. When actually executing should I install the siding or the boxing first? ...
Always install all your trim work, corner boards, soffit, rakes, exterior door/window casings, etc. - FIRST.
Realize that you will have to disconnect ALL wiring, lighting, etc... and other things attached to your home too. Is that something that you can do, or will you need an electrician to come in?

Quote:
Also what are the advantages and disadvantages of Cement boxing vs. vinyl boxing...
I too, do not understand what you mean?? "boxing?".
...By your previous statement, I assume that you are referring to installing your trim board work. If that is the case, you would use either; pre-primed pine, composite PVC boards, or other stock....NOT Vinyl or cementitious stock.

Here we used Hardie Board and a ''mixture'' of composite PVC board and pre-primed pine (We used the composite for the trim boards installed in lower grade locations and areas prone to shade and dampness).

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 01-14-2008 at 07:54 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:45 PM   #4

Cement Siding Install.

Boxing in my vernacular which is probably wrong or just Southern, is the trim-work around the roofline. Soffit and Vents.

Thanks for the info, I think that the PVC material is the way to go on my house as the house is in the woods and in the shade almost all the time. The biggest issue I have with the wood currently is mold growth as several of the corners never seem to dry especially here in the upstate of SC.

So I need to install all the corner work, all the windows, and all the soffits and roofline material before putting up the siding.

Next question. Should i remove the existing soffit material or simply go over the top of it?

Guys also thanks for the help. You have gotten me off on a great start so far.

Also I can handle the electricity, plumbing and other items, I prefer not to run from the box but I cna put it back in where necessary. Even though I don't like too. Have been afraid of the stuff since my dad convinced me to touch the electric cattle fences with a blade of grass when I was growing up.

Also I guess I need to get some pictures up for everyone before I start work. Also will allow me to document the work done.

Last edited by cutiger95; 01-14-2008 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Added last sentence about pictures
Old 01-15-2008, 01:45 PM   #5

Cement Siding Install.

Quote:
Next question. Should i remove the existing soffit material or simply go over the top of it?
What shape is it in?
Is it vented?
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:59 PM   #6

Cement Siding Install.

It is vented and it is in pretty decent shape. There are a couple of trouble spots but those can be patched pretty quickly?

Just looking for pro's and con's from the experts.