Cement Floor In Living Room - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2011, 05:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Cement floor in Living room

I have a cement floor in my living room with carpet over the cement. Needless to say it is cold in the winter,I live in Michigan. I would like to pull the carpet up and and put something down that would make the floor a little more warmer and then put new carpet down.

Anybody have any ideas what I can put down between the cement and the new carpet to make it warmer?

Advertisement

jerry1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:20 PM   #2

Layer of 1 1/2 or 2-inch thick extruded polystyrene foam placed against the concrete (tape seams), with a layer of 5/8-inch plywood on top. The whole thing is secured with Tapcon screws torqued directly into pre-drilled holes in the concrete floor. Spray foam around the perimeter to close gaps where the foam meets the wall. Lay your floor covering over that.

This assumes you can rasie the floor without issue. My living room slab is a step down from the kitchen so I have the inches to raise the floor without worry of doorways or an adjoining room.

Advertisement

ferris13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,296

Ayuh,... Shim in a subfloor, 'n lay in radiant heating tubing....

Yer feet will be nice, 'n warm...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:05 PM   #4

Thanks for the replys-I have three entrances to this room, one entrance is higher so no proplem there. The other entrance doorways are level to the adjoining rooms. (Living room and adjoining room are at the same level.) This would raise the floor a couple inches and I see myself tripping going through these doorways.

You guys think this would be ok or should I still think about something else?

Last edited by jerry1967; 01-25-2011 at 06:08 PM.
jerry1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:46 PM   #5
Electric Radiant Heating

Rewards Points: 150

Lay "The Barrier", which is a 3/8" polystyrene/vapor barrier down on the concrete with 1/2" (or 3/4" if you can handle the extra height) plywood, then run Zmesh low voltage radiant stapled down, then 1/4" plywood over the top of the Zmesh, then your new pad/carpet. It will add 1-1/8" - 1-1/4" to what you have and make the floor as warm as you set the thermostat to...it will also add some btu's to the room as well.