Cement Board Install - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2011, 10:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cement Board Install

I've had to remove the walls around our bath/shower because the original install was completed using regular gyproc. Soggy, moldy, and falling apart. I removed the walls to the edge of the bathtub where the old tiles stopped and will be installing cement board then re-tiling. A couple of questions...

1.) At the edge of the tub where I removed the wall to there is no vertical 2x4 nor do I think I can manage to fit another one in there. Will the thinset mortar used to join the gyproc to the cement board be strong enough to support the wall properly or do I need to remove more drywall an get to the next stud?

2.) If I have to extend the cement board to the next stud I will need to have it match the painted surface in the rest of the bathroom. What do I need to prep the very rough cement board with so I can get a smooth painted finish?

3.) What is the official prayer to make sure the tiling goes right?

Thanks for your time.

Advertisement

Vica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:18 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Cement Board Install

The edge of the backerboard needs to land on a stud for stability, and any blocking between the existing studs you can do will be very helpful.
Skim coat the backerboard with drywall joint compound, sand, and finish just like you would drywall.

Advertisement

littlecleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:44 PM   #3

Cement Board Install

Thanks. I'll have to see if I can get some blocking in there otherwise the toilet has to come out as well. It never ends...

I just came back from the Home Depot pricing out everything I think I'll need. Boy this little job is going to be expensive. One thing I'd like to question. The fellow at the store said I'd need to coat the cement board with Red Gard at $80.00 for a small pail. I thought the cement board was waterproof and this stuff shouldn't be required. Comments?

And again, my thanks.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Cement Board Install

The Red Gard is an extra layer of protection that should be taken to insure you won't be pulling this out again.
Concrete board will absorb moisture.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:15 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,232

Cement Board Install

As long as you use thinset rather than mastic for your tile, RedGard isn't absolutely necessary. Cement board isn't waterproof, but won't get soggy and fall apart like wallboard. Just seal your grout when you're done and you should be fine.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:24 PM   #6

Cement Board Install

Thank you for the info. When you get the glue that is waterproof and use grout that is waterproof you tend to think that's enough. For $80 I may just go ahead with the Red Guard and be safe.

Advertisement