Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2011, 08:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Cement Block Wall Footing

This is my understanding:

For a cement block garden wall, even at only 2 feet tall, if it is to be covered with anything that relies on stability and no cracks (i.e. stucco or stone veneer), the footing must be applied down to the frost line.

The concrete footer should have be as deep as the blocks are front to back, so standard block will dictate a 8" depth of footer, and front to back of footer double that for standard block with blocks set centered on the 16".

My question is this: If the footer must be dug down to frost line (in my area of NY that's about 3' down), and the concrete footer must only be 8" deep, does this mean below the initial 8" of concrete the remaining 28" of depth can be filled with compacted rock/gravel, or the concrete itself needs to be down to the full 36"?

I would like to build this planting bed surrounding my porch, only 2' high, but if it involves a full 36" of concrete at 16" wide for the full 30', that's a bit much and I'll have to switch to a segmented retaining wall (Cambridge Olde English Wall). If I could fill the depth to the frost line with gravel/rock until 8" below grade, and properly lay the 8" concrete above that to grade, then that's more doable.

Thoughts?

99altrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:05 AM   #2

Anyone?

Old 07-20-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,128

You really need to go down the full 36" with the excavation, and then follow with:

- Pour min. 8" by 16" (here, 16" is the ABSOLUTE min., and only applies if you're perfect. Code calls for 4" min. beyond foundation wall in each direction.)

- Build 3-3.5 course frost wall in your situation, wall likely being 12" wide to allow for brick/stone ledge.

- Build above grade 8" wall to receive brick/stone cladding.

If it sounds like a lot of work, it is, which is why many free-standing walls are SRW's now-a-days.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:06 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply and advice!

So to clarify.

One would want to start the concrete at the bottom of the 36" with a 8 x 16 footer, then do 3 courses 12" (and not 8") til about grade, and THEN a coarse/2 to accept veneer?

WOW, you're right, that is HARDCORE. But you sound like you know your stuff, and doing things the right way is not always easy!

I had wanted to stucco/culture stone the above grade part, but this seems like a bit too much for me, and may go with the segmented Cambridge.

So the idea to excavate to that 3' but fill the bottom 2' of that space with compacted stone, then the 8" rebarred, etc. concrete is not an acceptable way to build footer for wall going <2' above grade? That's probably the only way to make it work for me, otherwise I'll need to go with the srw.

Thanks again for the reply and advice!
Old 07-20-2011, 12:27 PM   #5
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,128

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99altrade View Post
Thanks for the reply and advice!

So to clarify.

One would want to start the concrete at the bottom of the 36" with a 8 x 16 footer, then do 3 courses 12" (and not 8") til about grade, and THEN a coarse/2 to accept veneer?

Correct, although you could do 8" the entire way for stucco/plaster, as well as cultured stone. I just prefer a 2" ledge for cultured stone if possible, and the expense of using 10" vs. 8" is minimal.

WOW, you're right, that is HARDCORE. But you sound like you know your stuff, and doing things the right way is not always easy!

I've certainly got all of you "bamboozled" i guess............

I had wanted to stucco/culture stone the above grade part, but this seems like a bit too much for me, and may go with the segmented Cambridge.

So the idea to excavate to that 3' but fill the bottom 2' of that space with compacted stone, then the 8" rebarred, etc. concrete is not an acceptable way to build footer for wall going <2' above grade? That's probably the only way to make it work for me, otherwise I'll need to go with the srw.

To be honest, I think the hardest, and probably the most expensive, part of the whole project is the excavation. The below grade block is simple & cheap IMO. If you look at the actual cost difference between the approach I'm suggesting vs. what you're thinking, I don't think it's much at all. It may actually be cheaper than using landscape block, depending on the cost of that material.
Thanks again for the reply and advice!
No Problem........
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:59 PM   #6

So I've decided to go with (unless some crazy change) a cement block wall, with concrete footer. The blocks will be veneered with 6"x24" MSI Ledger Panels.

Couple questions:

On the concrete footer:

1) Of the space where I intend on pouring the footer: I know with a concrete slab I compact soil, then some odd inches of rock, then pour the concrete. For a block wall should the footer be similar in terms of makeup, or should the poured concrete go straight to soil with no base of compacted rock in between (will the rock base add or hurt the longevity of footer+wall?)? Is the wall more stable with the poured concrete straight to frost area or some inches of compacted rock beneath good for drainage?

2) I have a couple wheelbarrows of crushed/broken porcelain/ceramic tile in my garage, that I'd love to recycle as base. Can I throw this in as part of the compacted 3/4" rock base that I will lay beneath the poured concrete footer (assuming the answer above is yes add rock beneath concrete pour)?

3) Drainage. This wall is only 1-2' high from grade, on level surface. The rear will be 2' away at same height (essentially planting bed). I will back-fill with rock then top 1/3rd with planting soil (right?). What measures should be taken for proper drainage. Just drill some holes near bottom of the wall every few feet? Use perforated pvc pipe laid at slight downward grade behind wall and have it exit through drilled hole at other end?

Thanks so much!
Old 07-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

If you insistent on a veneered wall, you could do a poured concrete wall on grade. Put in some horizontal and strapping re-bar and it won't crack from frost. Essentially a "grade beam". Then you can apply whatever finish you desire.

Building a frost wall for 2'-0" of exposure seems excessive. There are aton of options for landscaping walls now that may give you the look you're after. Check with your local landscaping supply (not the box stores). Even try a stone warehouse...you'll be surprised at your options.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:18 PM   #8

Thanks for the reply!

Can you explain what you mean a bit further? At this point I have a ditch dug nicely level to 22" down, 22' long, and about 22" front to back. So what exactly are you suggesting to do at this point. To do poured concrete wall (with some sort of vertical wall forms) instead of block wall? Not sure if that sounds more or less complicated than pouring in concrete, leveling, and then block wall couple courses to desired height and veneer it?

I would love nothing more than to make this project easier (without going for seg ret wall) or cheaper, but want to make sure it's done properly.

Thank you again!
Old 07-22-2011, 01:20 PM   #9

If the trench is dug then carry on...the grade beam concept doesn't require a trench.
99altrade (07-22-2011)
Old 07-22-2011, 01:30 PM   #10

Thanks again!

Do you have any input on the 3 questions I posted (posted again below for convenience):

Couple questions:

On the concrete footer:

1) Of the space where I intend on pouring the footer: I know with a concrete slab I compact soil, then some odd inches of rock, then pour the concrete. For a block wall should the footer be similar in terms of makeup, or should the poured concrete go straight to soil with no base of compacted rock in between (will the rock base add or hurt the longevity of footer+wall?)? Is the wall more stable with the poured concrete straight to frost area or some inches of compacted rock beneath good for drainage?

2) I have a couple wheelbarrows of crushed/broken porcelain/ceramic tile in my garage, that I'd love to recycle as base. Can I throw this in as part of the compacted 3/4" rock base that I will lay beneath the poured concrete footer (assuming the answer above is yes add rock beneath concrete pour)?

3) Drainage. This wall is only 1-2' high from grade, on level surface. The rear will be 2' away at same height (essentially planting bed). I will back-fill with rock then top 1/3rd with planting soil (right?). What measures should be taken for proper drainage. Just drill some holes near bottom of the wall every few feet? Use perforated pvc pipe laid at slight downward grade behind wall and have it exit through drilled hole at other end?

Thanks so much!

Last edited by 99altrade; 07-22-2011 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Edit
Old 07-22-2011, 01:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99altrade View Post
Thanks again!

Do you have any input on the 3 questions I posted above regarding footing?

Thanks!

The footing width is 2x the wall width and the footing height is equal to the wall width. Put either a keyway along the top of the footing (either set a piece of wood in the wet concrete after pouring or rake out when it slightly stiffens) or place rebar dowels so that the wall can be "locked" into the footing and avoid lateral movement from frost pressures.

Just Dowels: http://www.building-a-home-info.com/...nforcement.jpg

Just Keyway: http://www.teamlorenz.com/images/Garage%2024.JPG
Old 07-22-2011, 01:41 PM   #12

1) Of the space where I intend on pouring the footer: I know with a concrete slab I compact soil, then some odd inches of rock, then pour the concrete. For a block wall should the footer be similar in terms of makeup, or should the poured concrete go straight to soil with no base of compacted rock in between (will the rock base add or hurt the longevity of footer+wall?)? Is the wall more stable with the poured concrete straight to frost area or some inches of compacted rock beneath good for drainage? Put the footing on virgin soil only. For your purposes, structural fill and compactiong is not requried.

2) I have a couple wheelbarrows of crushed/broken porcelain/ceramic tile in my garage, that I'd love to recycle as base. Can I throw this in as part of the compacted 3/4" rock base that I will lay beneath the poured concrete footer (assuming the answer above is yes add rock beneath concrete pour)? Use this a drainage fill behind the above grade wall. mix it in with the drainage stone when dumping.

3) Drainage. This wall is only 1-2' high from grade, on level surface. The rear will be 2' away at same height (essentially planting bed). I will back-fill with rock then top 1/3rd with planting soil (right?). What measures should be taken for proper drainage. Just drill some holes near bottom of the wall every few feet? Use perforated pvc pipe laid at slight downward grade behind wall and have it exit through drilled hole at other end? If this is a raised planting bed that will have a wall all the way around, I would lay a bed of stone within the hole planting area (6" deep). lay perforated pipe in and slope 1/8" per foot min. to discharge point. cover stone base with filter fabric and then backfill with soil. If it isn't a perimeter wall then apply the stone and pipe at the backside of the wall. make it about 12" deep and 12" wide and slope and discharge the pipe the same.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:47 PM   #13

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,124

99Altrade -

You are just beginning to find the reasons why segmental retaining walls are most commonly used in the world, whether 2' or 40' high. Excavation depths, drainage, soil movement, frost heaves, weather, etc.

You could always fill your excess excavation with good compactable base material go SRW, which does not require a concrete footing (if the site is accessible). - It is good you did not want a curved landscape wall.

A rigid wall only 2' of high gets far too complicated since most everything is hidden and really not needed if there are other options.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:57 PM   #14

Thanks for the replies guys!!! Ahhhh, I'm torn! To continue on with the already excavated for cmu+veneer or do as Dick suggests and backfill excavation to install SRW. I've calculated the total costs to be similar in the end (obviously lot more labor with cmu option).

My goal is to maximize return on investment with maximal curb appeal, and if that is definitely with the ledger panel veneer, I don't mind the extra work. I've calculated total cost going either direction to be about $1000 in materials. Labor: me, free.

Last edited by 99altrade; 07-22-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:34 PM   #15

Per my last reply, notwithstanding other variables/factors (I'm trying to gauge what is better for resale at same cost to me) do you guys think a planter bed around an L-shaped front porch (22' long side, 10' short side) appears *higher-end* and adds more value with the SRW or Ledger Stone (quartzite) panels?

1) This is the panel I'd be using: http://www.pdtravertinepavers.com/na...rra%20blue.jpg

2) This is the SRW I'd be using: http://www.decorprecast.com/wallDeta...page=oldeManor

Thanks again guys for the input!