DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Celing Drywall and Hurricane Clips

9K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  AtlanticWBConst. 
#1 ·
Question for Drywallers from a DIY'r -

We are hanging drywall in new construction located in a high wind/ high snow load area. As such, the architect called out for the scissor trusses to be tied to the top plates using a Simpson Hurricane H1 clip on the outside wall AND a Simpson LTS Twist Tie Strap on the inside of the wall.

Problem I ran into came about when I placed the lower sheet of rock on the ceiling where it abuts the top plate. After screwing in place - my wife noticed that the LTS tie had pushed out the drywall at every truss crossing. The LTS ties seem to stand proud of the truss bottom chord/ wall top plate by only an 1/8 or so - but enough to dimple out the drywall once screwed down.

How do eliminate this - do I rout out the backside of each drywall sheet to fit around the tie strap? Do I hold the drywall back from the top plate to avoid running up against the LTS tie and backfill with mud?

What to do, what to do - cause it looks crappy right now.

Thanks,

Rick

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Yes, that is pretty much the only option. Just to clarify to some who may not undersand what hot mud is. The poster is referring to using quick dry durabound compound mix (It warms up slightly as it cures and dries = 'hot mud')

Fill in the holes 1st, let dry. You can apply tape over the holes. Make sure that these areas that are patched in are nice and flat ....aligned with the rest of the sheet....BEFORE you start to apply tape to the ceiling angle above them. Otherwise, those humps will show up when you go to apply tape to that adjacent ceiling angle...

A good product for such angles along the ceiling is untra flex or straight flex tape. Such 're-inforced' tape products help make the angle straight.
Link:
http://paint-supplies.gillroys.com/Patching_&_Drywall_Compound/100_NO-COAT_ULTRA_FLEX-s278874.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.