Ceiling Vents From The Attic - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 694

Ceiling vents from the attic

I have a property that has several "vents" from the attic. I say they are vents but I am not really sure what purpose they serve.

I have seen ceiling vents but all the ones I have seen before are on the outside under the eave or roof overhang. But I have four in this property, each one of them located in a closet. They are about 6"x10" in size.

The attic is very shallow, about 12"-18", so access is very limited.

Wouldn't the warm air in the attic be circulated into the house via these vents and essentially make the AC work harder than necessary?

What is interesting is two of the vents were closed off (by the previous owner) with a piece of plywood screwed to the edge. I took one off and termite dust (droppings) rained down on me. I knew this house had termites (well practically every house down here in Florida does) and it was tented, however, the termite dust are all over in the attic and if you pound on the walls, they shift and drop into the attic vents.

Any idea what these indoor vents are for? And any comments regarding me closing all of them with a piece of thin plywood?

Advertisement

miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Almost every house in Florida has those exterior vents to allow the hot air to escape from the attic. Your theory is logical however, there should a layer of insulation to form a "barrier" between the your the warm air and your interior ceiling.

Advertisement

ScottFla40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamicuse View Post
I have a property that has several "vents" from the attic. I say they are vents but I am not really sure what purpose they serve.

I have seen ceiling vents but all the ones I have seen before are on the outside under the eave or roof overhang. But I have four in this property, each one of them located in a closet. They are about 6"x10" in size.

The attic is very shallow, about 12"-18", so access is very limited.

Wouldn't the warm air in the attic be circulated into the house via these vents and essentially make the AC work harder than necessary?

What is interesting is two of the vents were closed off (by the previous owner) with a piece of plywood screwed to the edge. I took one off and termite dust (droppings) rained down on me. I knew this house had termites (well practically every house down here in Florida does) and it was tented, however, the termite dust are all over in the attic and if you pound on the walls, they shift and drop into the attic vents.

Any idea what these indoor vents are for? And any comments regarding me closing all of them with a piece of thin plywood?

the vents were maybe installed before ac was popular?? maybe the vents were the a-c back then, open a few windows, open the vents and hot air rising does the rest. now though, if you cut the a-c on it would pull the attic air into the living space via the vents.

is there any plumbing or electrical boxes in the attic space around the vents? maybe it is a tiny access panel
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFla40 View Post
Almost every house in Florida has those exterior vents to allow the hot air to escape from the attic. Your theory is logical however, there should a layer of insulation to form a "barrier" between the your the warm air and your interior ceiling.
Yes, I have a number of properties they are always on the outside of the house where the roof overhangs. I have not seen one with them on the inside.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hand drive View Post
the vents were maybe installed before ac was popular?? maybe the vents were the a-c back then, open a few windows, open the vents and hot air rising does the rest. now though, if you cut the a-c on it would pull the attic air into the living space via the vents.

is there any plumbing or electrical boxes in the attic space around the vents? maybe it is a tiny access panel
These vents are closed off with a mesh, not the nylon mesh but the harder metal wire mesh. Since it's only 6" wide I can't even stick my head up there to see. I doubt they are tiny access panels, I have two full size 16"x16" access panels elsewhere.

Since it was built in 1957, may be it was some sort of a circulation mechanism?

I am tempted to close it off.

What would be the best (most elegant) way to close them?
Old 09-02-2012, 09:19 AM   #6
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamicuse View Post
These vents are closed off with a mesh, not the nylon mesh but the harder metal wire mesh. Since it's only 6" wide I can't even stick my head up there to see. I doubt they are tiny access panels, I have two full size 16"x16" access panels elsewhere.

Since it was built in 1957, may be it was some sort of a circulation mechanism?

I am tempted to close it off.

What would be the best (most elegant) way to close them?

I would patch them in with drywall unless you can think of any reason to leave them in the ceiling?? If you want to leave them, then trim them out like an attic access door, kind of like one of the pics already look... good luck
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,032

Cover them, air-tight. Your ceiling air/thermal barrier is supposed to stop your conditioned air from reaching the attic.http://www.finehomebuilding.com/PDF/Free/021105092.pdf

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...wWATQw&cad=rja

Gary

Advertisement