Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2008, 04:11 PM   #1

Share |

ceiling tray down from 8' ceiling

anyone here build out a ceiling tray (bedroom) working down from a standard 8' high ceiling? I really the effect but don't have high ceilings - I've seen some discussion here around restructuring the ceiling to get the extra height for the tray, but I don't want to tangle with the ceiling joist structure.

if so, any suggestions (depth, width, etc.) for the drop section? any ideas appreciated

thanks
-randy

rtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:33 PM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

It can be done. but I feel it would look out of the norm, especaily with your door and window headers, I feel it will make the ceiling that more lower. BOB

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:10 PM   #3
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtoni View Post
anyone here build out a ceiling tray (bedroom) working down from a standard 8' high ceiling? I really the effect but don't have high ceilings - I've seen some discussion here around restructuring the ceiling to get the extra height for the tray, but I don't want to tangle with the ceiling joist structure.

if so, any suggestions (depth, width, etc.) for the drop section? any ideas appreciated

thanks
-randy
Randy,

I've done it several times with 8' ceilings. It does bring the ceiling down lower but for some reason if you go no more than 10" down and 10" -20" across the top it takes your eye away from the height.

I had some pictures of the last one I did, but I can';t find them right now. I just drew this up for you as an example. Hope it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
ceiling tray down from 8' ceiling-tray-ceiling-8-wall.jpg  

Last edited by Joe Carola; 08-14-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Joe Carola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:29 AM   #4

Thanks Bob, Joe - appreciate the feedback - originally I had no intention to build higher ceilings or anything beyond basic architectural design in my project (avoid getting in over my head), but lately as I started to trip over some of the discussions around this technique I thought "what a nice way to spice up a room a bit".

However, most of the pictures I've seen are in larger, more "elegant" homes, large master bdrm, high ceilings, etc. so to Bob's point, I worry about having the opposite effect in my simple design (what if it makes the room look tighter, smaller, overkill, all that kind of stuff.) But Joe if you've done more than 1 of these then I assume you got some decent results and you know the "gothca's" (btw thanks for the drawing) - would really be good to visualize this finished in a smaller room - if you come across any of your pics, please do post them here

btw - the room I'm considering is a bedroom approx 13" x 13" with 32" hallway (entry) door in north wall (n/w corner), 1 window (36" h x 48" w) in east wall and a 5' patio / terrace door leading to deck at center of south wall. All door/window headers at 82", 8' ceiling. No drywall up yet.

thanks again

-Randy
Old 08-15-2008, 01:23 PM   #5
Framing Contractor

Randy,

You can cut two 2x4's with the dimensions of the left and right side of the drawing and hold them against your ceiling and wall and see if you like it. This way you can get the feel of what you're up against. You can also make a "Cove ceiling" by putting an Arch on the bottom of the 2x4's. You might like the way it looks also. Harder to frame and sheetrock, but the end result is beautiful.

If the ceiling is to low for you, get an Architect or Engineer in there and they can tell you exactly what you can do by raising the ceiling joists up 1'. I do this all the time. I even raise them up to 10' and 11'. Your room is only 13'x 13'. It's not that big. You definitely have the option to go up.

I changed the drawing to show you what the arch in the cove ceiling would look like.
Attached Thumbnails
ceiling tray down from 8' ceiling-cove-ceiling-8.jpg  
Old 08-15-2008, 01:49 PM   #6

Thanks again Joe - I'll definitely take some time to try to visualize this - might be worth the effort.....

-Randy
Old 08-15-2008, 01:50 PM   #7
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

You may also want to research wall paper ceiling treatments. They can have a nice effect with certain decors.

Maybe also only lower the outer edge by a small amount, maybe the width or thickness of a 2x4. No headroom issues, gives you some architectural interest, easy to frame, easyish to drywall and not a huge cost at this point in your project.
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:20 PM   #8
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtoni View Post
Thanks again Joe - I'll definitely take some time to try to visualize this - might be worth the effort.....

-Randy
Randy,

If you like the cove look, "Fypon" makes moldings that are big enough to give a nice look. Check out this link, there might be some kind large molding you can put up without any framing and sheetrocking at all.

http://www.accentbuildingproducts.co...ings_cove.html
Old 08-15-2008, 03:07 PM   #9

great ideas - gents thanks again.....