Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2008, 05:08 PM   #1

Share |
Question

ceiling then wall or vice versa

it would suit my case to post drywall on the walls first while keeping the ceiling exposed for electrical purposes. does the order matter at all or it is okay to do either way ?

thanks,

- a -

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:09 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Yes, ceilings are ALWAYS done first. The main reason is because it is much easier to install the sheet on the ceiling.

When a measurement is taken to install the sheetrock on a ceiling, you have approximtaly 1/2" of measurement "forgiveness" (assuming it's 1/2" sheetrock).

In other words, if you have a 11' x 11' room. You would cut your sheet at
10' - 11 ”. You would then split the difference on the two ends. The wall sheets would then hide the ends.

The fact is that hanging sheets over your head is back-breaking and difficult. Try holding your arms up above your head for a length of time. Now try doing that, while balancing on a step ladder, with 50 + pounds over your head. Next, try installing that 50+ pounds, with one hand operating a screw gun, while you use you other hand and your head to hold it, and not falling off your ladder.

Ceilings: You want that portion of the job to go fast. If you go back and install the ceiling after, then you have to get your measurements exact and tight. That is not very easy for a newbi.

What ever you decide to do, please keep the profanity during the process, to a minimum.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 04-28-2008 at 05:19 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:39 PM   #3

Exclamation

i think the flow and volume of profanities will be uncontrollable but i can at least try to make sure there are no minors or old ladies anywhere in the zip code.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:42 PM   #4

Question

can't i use some sort of jack posts to hold the sheetrock in place against the ceiling beams ??
Old 04-28-2008, 06:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by amakarevic View Post
can't i use some sort of jack posts to hold the sheetrock in place against the ceiling beams ??

Yes. Here is a link with a small diagram towards the end: http://www.vertri.com/sheetrock_ceiling.html
Old 04-28-2008, 06:24 PM   #6
Drywall and Painting Pro

Quote:
Yes, you could build a "Deadman" It looks like a T made out of 2"x4"'s.

Or rent a lift for around $30 a day.
Sir MixAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:48 PM   #7

Tho I have never had the "need" to use one of those "wimpy" lifts (Large inhale, chest heaves, arms and shoulders shift forward)....I would also suggest that equipment for a newbi or DIYer. (Now, obviously, I was just just joking about the wimpy comment)

Now, seriously, I would suggest that you do consider some strong helpers, or some method of supporting the S/R, other than your back (damage that, and you usually can't replace it)
Old 04-28-2008, 10:45 PM   #8

..............or you could always cut your sheets to a manageable size........say 3 feet by 4 feet........have a million seams..........and do a lovely texture on the ceiling....................works great..................and no profanity........................no back broken....................but you need a large budget for purchasing tape................

Just to give you an idea, on how much tape my ceiling has needed. I have used a whole roll of 1000 feet of paper tape, just for the ceiling. Room sizes are 19 by 12 and 12 by 30 feet.

Try this method..........you will love it..........
yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:37 AM   #9

Question

yeah but tape is cheap ... no ? any other downsides of doing it that way ?
Old 04-29-2008, 11:56 AM   #10
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Yeah. The more seams you have the less strength and the more likely you are to have cracks. The other thing is that when you put the ceiling up first, the wall sheets help to support it along the edges.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:38 PM   #11

Quote:
yeah but tape is cheap ... no ? any other downsides of doing it that way ?

The only downside is that you have a lot of seams to cover. If time is not a concern, and you don't mind spending a lot of time doing the mudding on all the seams, then go for it.

The other poster said that there is more of a chance of cracks. I guess I will have to see if that is the case. But for me, it is a basement and if there is any cracks, I now know how to fix them.

It took me 5 months to hang the ceiling only. (I don't have a lot of time to spent on it) so I just go down here and there when I have 1/2 an hour of so.

I am giving DIY, a whole new meaning.
yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:59 PM   #12
General Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy mummy View Post
The only downside is that you have a lot of seams to cover. If time is not a concern, and you don't mind spending a lot of time doing the mudding on all the seams, then go for it.

The other poster said that there is more of a chance of cracks. I guess I will have to see if that is the case. But for me, it is a basement and if there is any cracks, I now know how to fix them.

It took me 5 months to hang the ceiling only. (I don't have a lot of time to spent on it) so I just go down here and there when I have 1/2 an hour of so.

I am giving DIY, a whole new meaning.
Guess so...588 Sf in 5 months...
MacRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:05 PM   #13
General Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
Yeah. The more seams you have the less strength and the more likely you are to have cracks. The other thing is that when you put the ceiling up first, the wall sheets help to support it along the edges.
Also, more importantly, you'll have 5 miles of tape joints to finish, very few of which will fall over factory bevelled edges. If you think Yummy Mummy's hang job took forever, try finishing all those seams. Plus, sanding a ceiling joint is messy and a real arm killer to begin with, even under optimal conditions.

MacRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote