Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2009, 02:14 PM   #1

Share |

Ceiling in Pole Barn

I'm looking to put a ceiling in a 32'x40' pole barn and need some help. I have trusses on 4' centers 2x4 bottom cord "W" style. I'm looking at options for the ceiling and need to know if I can bridge between these trusses with 2x4's and run 2x4's supporting parallel in the middle of the 4' spacing to effectively have 2' spacing. Is this something that can be done? Will these trusses handle the load of 1/2 sheetrock and blown in insulation?

Long story short I want to create 4' x 8' "H" inbetween the 4' by 32' space the trusses make.

-------------------------------------- <-example truss
------------|------------|------------ <-example bracing
-------------------------------------- <-other truss

hootywampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:47 PM   #2

Ceiling in Pole Barn

Should have went 2 foot centers. Trusses are not designed to take ceiling load 4 foot OC

RYANINMICHIGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:53 PM   #3

Ceiling in Pole Barn

before I would go that route,,,would metal work to bridge that 4' gap,,,like metal siding? They even make metal,, thinner,, special for ceilings. you can afford a lot of metal for the cost of cutting the spans to 2' by adding framing.

People blow insulation on that all the time,,,altho a vapor barrier might be a good option also make sure the roof doesnt leak cause it wont be detectable so fast,,maybe leave access for regular checks or storage so you look every so often I had a pole barn once,,,had a terrible time keeping the ridge seam from leaking!! (fwiw)
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote