Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2007, 04:25 PM   #1

Share |

The ceiling just caved in.

Bad things seem to be happening again and again to me and now my ceiling just caved in on me. There was also either a bird or squirrel nest in the ceiling too. I've gotta find out how they got in... So, how can I repair this myself while saving as much money as possible. Thanks.

steven01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:29 PM   #2

Is that Daylight showing!! You first have to take care of the problems outside before you worry about inside drywall. Get some fottage or pics of the outside of the building in that area so we can advise.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:16 PM   #3

Heh, yeah that's daylight alright. I don't have a ladder right now so, I'm not able to take really good pictures of the damage. I was however, able to take some pictures from the ground. I don't know what all parts make up a roof but I think some shingles fell off and exposed the ceiling to rain. I think the acorn tree right above my roof might have caused the damage. This past fall I could hear acorns drop all day and they were pretty loud. I guess overtime it could damage the roof.

Roof: http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/5859/roof2wy8.jpg

Roof: http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/8666/roof4gm2.jpg

Roof: http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/4629/roof4qn8.jpg

Big shingle: http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/3341/roofbz7.jpg

Big shingle: http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/156/roof5ed2.jpg
Old 02-26-2007, 05:24 PM   #4

Hmmm, maybe if I get the big piece of shingle that fell off and nail it back on the roof it would help?
Old 02-26-2007, 05:53 PM   #5

Wow, I don't like to give bad news. I think you need more then just to but the shingle up. They seemed to use a sheet roofing. It does not appear you roof has enough pitch to use shingles. It looks to be near flat. I can't be sure but I also suspect your sheathing or boards under the roofing have been compromised. I would best suggest having some professional estimates. You can try to tarp or put the fallen shingle back up to help seal it until you get it repaired. I would be suprised if patching this would last very long. Be careful if going onto the roof as it may actually be to weak in places to support wight depending on how long the water got at the roofing sheathing/boards.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:54 PM   #6

Hi S-1,

I have some good news and some bad news...the good news is that the ceiling will be easy to fix but the bad news is that you have very serious roof problems that need immediate attention. The water getting into your attic will do serious long term damage if left as is. That is a huge piece of asphalt that the wind blew off. Your roof is not shingled, it's called "roll roofing". Nailing the broken piece back on wouldn't help much. You need a tarp held down by furring strips (1" x 2" strips of wood". The tarp should stretch over the peak of the roof at least a foot so the water cannot get under it. But even that is a short term solution. I'd be calling a roofer and when you tell him you see daylight through the hole they should treat you as an emergency.

Let us know if you need more help. BTW, where are you located?

Best of luck,

Steve
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:58 PM   #7

Also, I recommend that you trim back the oak tree a few feet from the roof. That might help keep the squirrels off too.

I may see some damage under the roof down by the siding too. How long has this roof been compromised?

Steve
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:03 PM   #8

I'm not sure how long the roof has been compromised. I didn't have a clue that anything was wrong with the roof or ceiling untill today when it just fell down.
I'm gonna try to get this patched up before it rains this Thursday. I don't know how long before I can get it professionally repaired but, hopefully it'll be soon. Thanks for the help, everyone.