Ceiling Joists With Shed Style Roof? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2013, 04:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ceiling joists with shed style roof?

I was planning to build a gable roof for my 6'x20' greenhouse. A shed roof (sloped) might actually work better and let more light in.

I'd like to avoid too much obstruction of the light. I believe with a solid enough ride plate I can get away with no ceiling joists if I go with a gable roof. How about a shed style roof? Do they exert more or less outward pressure on the walls?

Advertisement

agent008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:07 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 616

I think you need to do a web search on Green house plans or go to a Box store or even the library to pick up a book on plans to get a better idea on what it is your trying to build.

Advertisement

Old 09-29-2013, 01:52 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks so much, man. Using Google to search hadn't occurred to me before I picked this random forum to post in. And purchasing a non-technical guide from a big box store sounds like a truly outstanding idea.

Clearly my very specific question about the difference between outward force on walls with gable and shed-style roofs demonstrates I have no clue what I'm doing. Thank goodness there are super useful people like you to offer one line answers totally off the topic.
agent008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,032

Welcome to the Forum!

elimination of ceiling joists in a light framed structure typically requires either a structural ridge beam or rafter ties to prevent rafter thrust from pushing out the tops of exterior load bearing walls.

what where you planning on for the construction of the exterior walls?

ps: I would suggest that if you do not like answers you receive you may want to try a technique other than a sarcastic reply. Members are less likely to reply to your questions. Food for thought ....

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GBrackins For This Useful Post:
cortell (09-29-2013), kwikfishron (09-29-2013)