Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2010, 10:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ceiling Joist Beam

I need to replacing an undersized ceiling joist beam in my bedroom. The ceiling joist run from an inner wall 9' to a beam. The beam span is 10ft. The only load are the ceiling joist with drywall. Roof rafters are fully supported.

I would like to try to use the minimum size beam because of head space. Can I get away with a 4x8 for the 10ft span or use a 4x10"

Thanks

RWebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:39 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Ceiling Joist Beam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWebb View Post
I need to replacing an undersized ceiling joist beam in my bedroom. The ceiling joist run from an inner wall 9' to a beam. The beam span is 10ft. The only load are the ceiling joist with drywall. Roof rafters are fully supported.

I would like to try to use the minimum size beam because of head space. Can I get away with a 4x8 for the 10ft span or use a 4x10"

Thanks
So the ceiling joists are resting on a support beam and you want to take out that beam and put in a smaller one.
Why would there be a beam in a 10 ft wide room?
There's something odd about this structure.
Take some pictures of the ceiling and let us know what size ceiling joists you have and what's above this room.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Ceiling Joist Beam

I want to replace the current beam with a larger support. Currently the beam is a 4x4 with an additional 2x4. The house was built in the 20's and it looks like there were small additions at different periods in time.

I'll try to describe it the best I can.

Ceiling joist run 9' to this beam (4x4 w 2x4). With of the room is 10'.
Then from the beam to the back load bearing wall (addition) is just the roof rafters. At some point someone sistered new roof rafters. They do not rest on the beam, only the ceiling joist. The roof is fully supported with out the beam.

So there is a 8 ft ceiling to the beam, then they dry walled the roof rafter from the beam to the outer wall.

So I want to replace the (4x4 + 2x4) with a larger beam. it's obviously under sized. I believe a home owner 50yrs ago did the work. I would like to replace it it with the minimum size possible. Ideally I would like to use a 4x8, but will use a 4x10 if necessary.

I want to know if a 4x8 beam is adequate for a 10' span with the only load being the ceiling joist. I was originally going to use a 4x10, but found the rxtra 2"made a bid difference in head room.

I'm going to re frame the walls and take the support down to the foundation.
RWebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:17 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,002

Ceiling Joist Beam

Maybe I'm tired but I'm not visualizing this well. Perhaps a drawing or picture?
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote