Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2008, 12:45 PM   #1
the Musigician

Share |
Smile

ceiling help please?

hi everyone! i have a new addition and need to put in the ceiling. what exactly is the most common way to install new ceilings? from the bottom up, i imagined drywall, then batt insulate between 2 ft. ceiling truss areas, then blown insulation above that to finish. any easier way i can eliminate the batt? plastic stapled above the drywall to hold the blown insulate in case of ceiling drywall repairs down the line? ( so it won't fall out) as many different suggestions how i can finish this project as possible is greatly appreciated! maybe brown 1/8" hardboard above the drywall? hmmmmm...

tnkx!
DM

DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 05:23 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

ceiling help please?

6 mil+ Poly (plastic) stapled to the strapping, or the truss-chord bottoms should do it.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:00 PM   #3
Drywall contractor

ceiling help please?

If you decide to go with the plastic, make sure to get it tight to the joists and use enough staples to make sure the weight of the insulation doesn't pull it loose. If the blown insulation gets between the joist and the drywall, it will cause nail (screw) pops. I always glue and nail/screw drywall to help eliminate "pops", so I would not recommend the use of plastic. That said, in your area the use of adhesive may not be the norm.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:13 PM   #4
the Musigician

ceiling help please?

still confused here.... let's try for a cross section of the new ceiling... starting with the bottom... drywall...mounts to furring strips..... then.....what above that?....
Old 07-30-2008, 10:56 AM   #5

ceiling help please?

i say just use old bats insulation and lay down the poly plastic to protect from mold then spray itit will give the best seel and u wont have to worry about nail pops
quoting-a-job-need-help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:33 AM   #6
the Musigician

ceiling help please?

paper side up or down?
DM
Old 07-30-2008, 11:34 AM   #7

ceiling help please?

paper side down
Old 07-30-2008, 01:38 PM   #8

ceiling help please?

Outta curiosity, why mess with the bats at all. Is there a reason you can't use all cellulose? I don't much care for FG and will not use it if at all possible. You'll have to get the blower anyway, why not blow it all at one time?
Old 07-30-2008, 02:07 PM   #9
Drywall contractor

ceiling help please?

I think the idea of using the batt insulation is because the blown stuff "settles" after a while. At least with the batts underneath, you're guaranteed a certain amount of R value. In this area, it's pretty much just blown in accessible spaces (batts where it can't be blown later). Our winters aren't that severe though.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:22 PM   #10
the Musigician

ceiling help please?

the batt or hardboard is for holding the blown insulation in place if (God forbid) the ceiling drywall ever needs repair. (so it does not fall on you) but as i see it now, you guys suggest, from the bottom up... drywall, furring strips, batt in rafter openings, plastic sheet stapled on top of the rafter bottoms, then blown on top of it all? SOUNDS warm enough! =o)

tnkx!
DM
Old 07-30-2008, 09:22 PM   #11

ceiling help please?

and the blow stuff can get inbetween the drywall and cause screw pops
Old 07-31-2008, 06:51 AM   #12
Mold!! Let's kill it!

ceiling help please?

If it were mine, I would install baffles to the underside of the roof sheathing at the eaves. Durovent or something similar. Then staple 6 mil poly to the underside of the lower chord of the trusses. Install the drywall. Finally, blow in the cellulose. Properly installed it won't settle very much. I wouldn't even mess with the fiberglass. I've never seen drywall screw pops because of cellulose unless the drywall wasn't fastened well enough to support the weight. But maybe, I've never been in the right place. Anyhow, the drywall installed first will prevent any cellulose from getting between it and the trusses.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:08 AM   #13

ceiling help please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdangermouseM View Post
...from the bottom up... drywall, furring strips, batt in rafter openings, plastic sheet stapled on top of the rafter bottoms, then blown on top
This doesn't sound right unless I'm not understanding it right.

If you have the plastic stapled to the bottom of the rafter/truss and put a furring strip blow that, you'll be creating a small cavity where there will only be air and not insulation. Unless your ceiling is way out of plane, I would skip the furring strips all together, staple the plastic to the bottom chord of the truss, hang the drywall, then blow in cellulose. There's NO way you can blow insulation between the bottom chord and drywall to pop it....no way. If you blow in cellulose before the drywall, you can get it between the plastic and bottom chord.

If the drywall needs repaired in the future, with cellulose you just take a snow shovel and move it aside, make the repair and fluff it back into place....not a big deal one way or the other. If the repair is from water damage, with either product, it will need to be removed.

If the ceiling drywall is fastened properly, it will support the weight of blown in cellulose. If you figure an R60 you will only have about 2.3 pounds per square foot, that's roughly 16" once settled. The instructions indicate how much it will settle and the depth you should have when it's blown in. If you plan accordingly, you won't be disappointed.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:39 AM   #14

ceiling help please?

I would install furr strips to joists, install poly vapor barrierthen rock, then blow. Of course this is a lot easier if you have access to the attic/ceiling space. Otherwise you have to cut open ceiling to blow insulation in. But you can't blow before rock and expect poly to hold it. Some codes may allow a netting or home wrap material which will hold insulation until you rock. We do this in minnesota for tuck under garage lids. Make sure you use 5/8" rock and long enough screws to get through the furr strip to the joists.

dhag is offline   Reply With Quote