Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2010, 12:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

ceiling header

My kitchen ceiling sags as a result of a bearing wall being removed. I had an engineer come out a few years back. Basically, he said that a header needed to be installed in the ceiling and he spec'd out the beam for me. I didn't have time to work on it then and let it be. Now that I am ready to proceed, I have a couple of questions.

I donít want the header to be exposed through the ceiling. If I cut through the ceiling joists, make a slot to accept the header, and attach the joists with hangers, one end of the header will sit on the top plate of an exterior wall the other end on the top plate of an interior wall.
1. How do I fasten / attach the ends of the header to the top plates?
2. Instead of cutting through the joists, can place the header on blocks on top of the top plates so it sits just over the joists and then hang the joists with hangers?

harsuwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:52 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

ceiling header

these are questions you should be asking the engineer.

in the first case, you would be building a 'flush beam' and using joist hangers to attach the ceiling joists to the beam.
in the second case, you are adding a 'strongback' above the joists and would need some hardware to hold the joists up to the strongback.

the engineer would need to provide drawings and details, but it could be done either way, assuming there is only attic above.

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
celing joists, header, top plate