Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-19-2010, 08:56 PM   #1

Share |

Ceiling/Floor Joist Size and Space

This is my first post and my first attemp at a major project.
I am building a room inside a steel building (shop). The room will be 12 ft. X 20 ft. One of the 12 foot walls and one of the 20 foot walls will be screwed/attached to the steel beams of the steel building walls. I will have a drywall ceiling inside the room and will deck the top of the ceiling for storage space. What I was needing to know was that since the ceiling joist will be used as the support for the drywall, insulation, decking on top (floor) and then storage on top, what size joist and what spacing should I use? Oh, the joist will span the 12 ft length not the 20 ft length. I want to be able to support a reasonable amount of storage weight in top. Naturally, this is a flat ceiling. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

charlie58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:11 AM   #2

I asked this question back on the 19th and never got a response. Could someone reply or at least let me know if I should not ask these types of questions here so I could try to get the answer somewhere else? Thanks

charlie58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:33 AM   #3

Using it in a shop for storage above I would use 2x12's 16" OC
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:16 AM   #4

Hey! First post here, but I've been do research for a shed I'm building and had some of the same questions you have. I found this calculator at the following link to be helpful.

http://www.awc.org/calculators/span/...rcalcstyle.asp

You can input the type of lumber, the load, and it will give you the maximum span. You can also reverse the calcualtion by using the "Span options Calculator..." under the calculate button. Once you input the lumber type, load, and span it will give you options for what lumber to use.

Hope this helps!

Walt
wjackson91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:10 PM   #5

Using the calculator wjackson linked 2x8s, 16"OC in #2 Hem Fir spanning 12' would hold 40 pounds per sq ft which is a typical minimum for residential construction. That would be 9600 lbs in your 12x20 loft. And since it's just for storage you're not going to be concerned about a little bounce when you walk up there.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote