DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Ceiling Fan Mounting

6K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  ralphfravel 
#1 ·
I am planning to install a living room ceiling fan and would like some recommendations on the best way to provide a robust ceiling box to support the fan. The ceiling is made of 2 x 4 scissor trusses on 2' centers and I have access in the attic. The fan is a typical unit, probably weighs on the order of 25 pounds. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

#2 ·
Go to a local big box store and buy a specially design box that that can be slid on an adjustable spreader bar between rafters or trusses. - Costs about $10-$15.

With this you can install it without access to the attic by just cutting a hole where the fan will be, inserting the box and spreader bar, turning to expand to the truss spacing and sliding the box into position. Working through a 4" hole in the sheet rock is not always easy if you have big hands, but is not that difficult.

Since you have attic access, you can always get above and put in a 2x4 between trusses and nail a box to the 2x4.

My problem has always been getting power to a new fan location.

Dick

#4 ·
Yes, the easiest way (which is also a very strong and solid way) is to screw a pancake box to the underside of a joist.

For a fan you can pickup power from any general circuit running thru the attic. Since most fans have remotes or are capable of adding a remote, you don't even have to install a switch on the wall if you don't want to, just bring constant hot power to the fan and use the remote to control the lights and fan.

#6 · (Edited)
Yes, the easiest way (which is also a very strong and solid way) is to screw a pancake box to the underside of a joist.

For a fan you can pickup power from any general circuit running thru the attic. Since most fans have remotes or are capable of adding a remote, you don't even have to install a switch on the wall if you don't want to, just bring constant hot power to the fan and use the remote to control the lights and fan.
I don't think pancake boxes are code approved for fans.
Ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.