Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cedar Vs. Pressure Treated????

Hi,
I will be building a deck shortly, and want to know people's oppinion on Cedar or pressure treated. I am planning on using wood, and I want to know if people think they both wear the same, and use the same maintenece. From my understanding Cedar is more money, because its a prettier wood, but it no where as durable as treated. If that's the case I will be using treated. I can't really afford the composite or plastic deck, it's almost double the price as a wood deck.

dobrien1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Are you wanting something to add value to your home, or do you just want something to set furniture on?

robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #3

No, Im not looking to really add any value, im just looking for a deck that we can hang out on, and enjoy our new swimming pool. In my area, the houses aren't really gaining any value, and I don't see it happening anytime soon. So basically whatever we decide to put in, will be for our personal use, and not to profit off it when we sell the house, which won't be for at least another 10 years.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

cedar is more expensive and very pretty when first installed but when a couple of years go by it turns the color of driftwood, unless you stain it , then you are staining for a lot of years.(more money)
pressure treated is one color and is supposed to be warranted for a number of years. pressure treated still looks nice. just my 2 cents.
not to mention it's alot cheaper than cedar

Last edited by christoff; 04-10-2012 at 04:06 PM. Reason: add more
christoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,078

I really dislike PT for deck lumber, because it typically splinters, it will not take stain or oil well, and I find the green color ugly. Not to mention it is toxic. Cedar is very soft, not a great choice for a deck board in my book. I used ipe for my deck boards. Turned out there was an ipe wholesaler near me, and ipe was about the same cost as cedar would have been, and probably less than composite. But if you don't have a wholesaler nearby, ipe might cost you big time.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #6

Yeah thanks, but IPE doesn't fit in the budget, thats why were looking at treated.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:56 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 150

Cedar clear works well but does rot quickly. I replace more cedar boards a year than PTP. PTP must weather 6 months before treating. MUST BE CLEANED TO REMOVE MILL GLAZE. Once sealed properly lasts well in most environments. New wood is not toxic like the old stuff was.(you could sit on old ptw and have trouble standing up after some time)
CaptRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:28 PM   #8
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,048

cedar is naturally rot resistant. i dont know how randy is dealing with so many bad boards...

any time we do a cedar deck all the structure is done with pt, then the ribbon gets a 2nd layer of 2x cedar then all the decking is cedar. pt has strength but looks terrible, cedar is much nicer looking wood.. either way give both cedar or pt 3 years and the sun is going to bleach it turning it gray anyway unless its stained
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #9

I can't tell you how many PT fence posts I've replaced, completely rotted at the base. As for Cedar, I've had several people tell me not all cedar is the same--that cedars from certain parts of Texas will "rot within a few years". I don't know whether to believe them or not. My take on the whole thing is that any wood will rot given the right (bad conditions) over a long period of time. The key is preventing those conditions. E.g., never sink posts in the ground unless they need to withstand a lateral load (fence posts, e.g.,). And in those situations, make sure the post base does not touch soil; use a sono tube and keep the base of the post 4" above grade and round out the base to avoid water pooling. Yet another example: avoid doubling would exposed to the elements; moisture gets trapped in the space between. A final one: weatherproof the wood and maintain it regularly.

My point here is that if you build intelligently and do maintenance dilligently, the lifespan of the wood will be significant, and the difference between PT vs cedar is a non-issue. What does differ significantly between the two is aesthetics. You can't beat the look of a cedar deck.

Last edited by cortell; 04-10-2012 at 09:43 PM.
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 150

The problems with cedar are 3 different reasons. The builder uses grade 2 or 3 with many knots throughout the wood, they do not predrill the wood before installing screws close to the3 end of the board and the wood is 5/4 by 6. The PTP is 2 by 6 and even though not predrilled lasts longer. The rotted pieces begin at the ends where they split and allow water to enter. The customers are lapse on cleaning and sealing as well.

If the cedar is treated well and cleaned and stained regularly it does look much better than the PTP.
CaptRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #11

Is there something available in between the two extremes where you live? Out in CA we have a lot of Douglas Fir that is about 1/3 the price of cedar or redwood. It looks good and is even moderately resistant to rot (needs to be sealed though).
juryduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by juryduty View Post
Is there something available in between the two extremes where you live? Out in CA we have a lot of Douglas Fir that is about 1/3 the price of cedar or redwood. It looks good and is even moderately resistant to rot (needs to be sealed though).
Canadians have a product called Thermowood. It's SPF that's been "baked" to make it rot and insect resistant. I've not seen it in the states...at least not in Texas. Because it hasn't been treated with chemicals, it has the look of untreated wood. The cost is in between cedar and PT. Not sure why it's not generally available.
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:25 AM   #13
Custom User Title

Rewards Points: 252

Have you checked cedar prices? I was surprised to see how reasonable it was in my location. It was only $.30+/- more per linear foot than pressure treated.
no1hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1hustler View Post
Have you checked cedar prices? I was surprised to see how reasonable it was in my location. It was only $.30+/- more per linear foot than pressure treated.
I just had a deck built. The contractor told me I could choose PT or cedar for the decking, the price to him at the lumber yard was the same.

I chose cedar because I didn't want it to splinter. I know I'll need to stain/seal, but that's OK with me.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #15

I finished mine last fall. Used below-ground grade PT for all framing/joists and beam, but the cedar for everthing else.

I like cedar because you can walk barefoot on hot days and its cool, its warm on cooler days, and no toxins get on your skin from being PT.

Yes, it will have to be stained every couple years, but I used a product named SuperDeck which combines 4 different oils. Treating the deck will be as simple as applying a cleaner/brightener, hosing it off, and restaining (no scraping/sanding at all).

I love the smell of the cedar. Yes, it is softer wood and the floor may get marred from chair feet, etc, but they can easily be replaced in 10 yrs.

As for cost, the cedar was about 50% more than the PT in my area, but since this should be a 20 yr deck with proper staining every couple yrs, the extra cost was worth it to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Cedar Vs. Pressure Treated????-img00418-20110913-1855.jpg   Cedar Vs. Pressure Treated????-img00409-20110911-1912.jpg   Cedar Vs. Pressure Treated????-img00399-20110911-1906.jpg  

dpach is offline   Reply With Quote